Old 03-18-2011, 07:19 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

Default Where is 'reply to list' in Evolution?

On Thu, March 17, 2011 10:15, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 10:01 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
>> On Thu, March 17, 2011 06:24, Jon Anderson wrote:
>> * Click on the button "Reply to list".
>
> Where is this button in Evolution (Ubuntu default email editor)? I have
> to click 'Reply to all', then delete the parent's address in the 'To'
> box, then copy the ubuntu-users address from the 'Cc' box to the 'To'
> box, then click 'Send'.

I simply cannot answer that question. Mozilla Thunderbird (on the desktop)
and Squirrelmail (webmail) have been _my_ 'default' email clients since
before Ubuntu existed. The first thing I always do when I install Ubuntu
for myself, is to remove every single trace of Evolution, and install the
software that I'm familiar with.

I hope that someone else can answer your question. Perhaps you should
start a new thread about it, to make sure that your question gets proper
attention.

--
Amedee

Old 03-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Karl Auer

On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 09:19 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
> On Thu, March 17, 2011 10:15, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 10:01 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
> >> On Thu, March 17, 2011 06:24, Jon Anderson wrote:
> >> * Click on the button "Reply to list".
> >
> > Where is this button in Evolution (Ubuntu default email editor)?

There is no "reply to list" button. Click the drop-down menu "Message",
"Reply to List" is one of the options in that drop-down-menu.

It may be possible to configure the tool bar to get a reply-to-list
button, but it isn't there by default.

Regards, K.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 19:37 +1100, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 09:19 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
> > >
> > > Where is this button in Evolution (Ubuntu default email editor)?
>
> There is no "reply to list" button. Click the drop-down menu "Message",
> "Reply to List" is one of the options in that drop-down-menu.
>
> It may be possible to configure the tool bar to get a reply-to-list
> button, but it isn't there by default.
I dunno if this will help, but my in-box for the ubuntu list is
configured as a task to have all emails with the ubuntu list sorted
there by the "reply-to", in Evolution. I have not encountered a problem
with my replies to the list, at least that I am aware of. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 03-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Shaun Jones

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 19:37 +1100, Karl Auer wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 09:19 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

> > > Where is this button in Evolution (Ubuntu default email editor)?

> There is no "reply to list" button. Click the drop-down menu "Message",

> "Reply to List" is one of the options in that drop-down-menu.

> It may be possible to configure the tool bar to get a reply-to-list

> button, but it isn't there by default.

I dunno if this will help, but my in-box for the ubuntu list is

configured as a task to have all emails with the ubuntu list sorted

there by the "reply-to", in Evolution. I have not encountered a problem

with my replies to the list, at least that I am aware of. Ric

Linux user# 44256

*hit crtl-l that is what i always do*
--
mister.s.jones*

Old 03-19-2011, 02:03 AM
Patton Echols

On 03/18/2011 01:19 AM, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

On Thu, March 17, 2011 10:15, Mark Widdicombe wrote:

On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 10:01 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

On Thu, March 17, 2011 06:24, Jon Anderson wrote:
* Click on the button "Reply to list".

Where is this button in Evolution (Ubuntu default email editor)? I have
to click 'Reply to all', then delete the parent's address in the 'To'
box, then copy the ubuntu-users address from the 'Cc' box to the 'To'
box, then click 'Send'.

I simply cannot answer that question. Mozilla Thunderbird (on the desktop)
and Squirrelmail (webmail) have been _my_ 'default' email clients since
before Ubuntu existed. The first thing I always do when I install Ubuntu
for myself, is to remove every single trace of Evolution, and install the
software that I'm familiar with.

I have a memory, years old, of a post that said that simply uninstalling
Evolution would break some other key part of the ubuntu gnome desktop.
Was that totally wrong? Or do you do something special?

-- PE

Old 03-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Niki Kovacs

Le 19/03/2011 04:03, Patton Echols a écrit :

I have a memory, years old, of a post that said that simply uninstalling
Evolution would break some other key part of the ubuntu gnome desktop.
Was that totally wrong? Or do you do something special?

-- PE

One of the first things I do when installing a desktop is replacing
Evolution by Thunderbird.

# apt-get autoremove --purge evolution evolution-common

No problem.

)

Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 3/19/2011 5:54 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:

Le 19/03/2011 04:03, Patton Echols a écrit :

I have a memory, years old, of a post that said that simply uninstalling
Evolution would break some other key part of the ubuntu gnome desktop.
Was that totally wrong? Or do you do something special?

-- PE

One of the first things I do when installing a desktop is replacing
Evolution by Thunderbird.

# apt-get autoremove --purge evolution evolution-common

No problem.

)

I do that too, apart from once, when I thought I would try evolution and
well, a day later I removed it and most of it's libs that Ubuntu doesn't
need for other parts and switched to Thunderbird. I just can't stand
some of the UI ideas they have with Evolution and even though I can fix
the UI myself it's just not worth the effort when Thunderbird takes a
better approach to the UI and usability IMO.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Patton Echols

On 03/19/2011 04:17 AM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:

[...]

I'm a t-bird user too. But because of that (apparently spurious)
memory, I just left Evolution on my machine -- unused. Thanks for the
testimonials.

--PE

Old 03-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 06:21 -0700, Patton Echols wrote:
> On 03/19/2011 04:17 AM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:

> >> One of the first things I do when installing a desktop is replacing
> >> Evolution by Thunderbird.
> >>
> >> # apt-get autoremove --purge evolution evolution-common
> >>
> >> No problem.
> >>
> >> )
> >>

> > I do that too, apart from once, when I thought I would try evolution
> > and well, a day later I removed it and most of it's libs that Ubuntu
> > doesn't need for other parts and switched to Thunderbird. I just
> > can't stand some of the UI ideas they have with Evolution and even
> > though I can fix the UI myself it's just not worth the effort when
> > Thunderbird takes a better approach to the UI and usability IMO.
> >

> I'm a t-bird user too. But because of that (apparently spurious)
> memory, I just left Evolution on my machine -- unused. Thanks for the
> testimonials.

Well, there you go. I tried T-Bird once, thought it was clunky and slow.
It's all a matter of taste, I guess. I'm happy as a clam with Evolution.
Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Sat, March 19, 2011 11:54, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Le 19/03/2011 04:03, Patton Echols a écrit :
>

>> I have a memory, years old, of a post that said that simply uninstalling
>> Evolution would break some other key part of the ubuntu gnome desktop.
>> Was that totally wrong? Or do you do something special?
>>
>> -- PE
>>

> One of the first things I do when installing a desktop is replacing
> Evolution by Thunderbird.
>
> # apt-get autoremove --purge evolution evolution-common

While I prefer aptitude over apt-get, yes this essentially what I do.
I believe that I have even written a blog post once, about the cleanup
steps I do right after installation. That blog post is in Dutch so it's
probably not relevant for this list.

Removing evolution and evolution-common removes most but not all of
Evolution. Some libraries remain.

--
Amedee