Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Jay Ridgley

Default PLEASE help me (pleading) Wireless connection problems

On 03/16/2011 02:58 PM, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

Message: 7 Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:55:26 -0700 From: Smoot Carl-Mitchell
<smoot@tic.com> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
<ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com> Subject: Re: PLEASE help me (pleading) Wireless
connection problems Message-ID: <1300305326.2363.415.camel@smoot> Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="UTF-8" On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 14:06 -0500, Jay Ridgley wrote:

> It appears to have something to do with routing since ifconfig and iwconfig
> output changes after the connection is lost.

Check the routing tables with

netstat -rn

Sometimes that can give you a hint as to the problem. Also take DNS out
of the picture by pinging your gateway address and a well known network
address which responds to pings. I use www.google.com -
74.125.224.177.

Initially both route and netstat -rn are OK and match what I am seeing on the
old system.

I as a rule ping yahoo.com, it also works.

After the failure neither my gateway address nor yahoo.com are reachable, from
the laptop, wired still works fine. Before that they both work either wired or
wireless!

Regards,
Jay

BTW -- SXSW is in FULL swing in Austin.