Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Mark Carroll

Default Creating DeviceURI usb printer aliases that are more generic, for CUPS 1.4

Using Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) with printer installation through CUPS
my /etc/cups/printers.conf has a very non-generic DeviceURI that encodes
the printer make and model. I am creating a image of the machine for
netbooting others and I'd like to find a way to write printers.conf with
a much more generic DeviceURI.

I have tried doing things like adding a udev rule,
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device",
ENV{ID_USB_INTERFACES}==":0701*:", SYMLINK+="usb-lp"
and changing the DeviceURI to that file instead, but it doesn't print,
nor does /dev/usb/lp0. I've also tried blacklisting the usblp module to
see if that makes any difference.

How can I have set things up so that printers.conf doesn't have to refer
to the device by its make and model but can just work with any printer
that uses the same PPD?

If this is explained in a FAQ/HOWTO somewhere that I've missed, of
course just point me to that, I haven't found it yet though.

Mark

--
Mark Carroll
Software Engineer

Cambridge Research Laboratory
Vecna Technologies, Inc.
36 Cambridge Park Drive
Cambridge, MA 02140
Phone: (617) 864-0636
Fax: (617) 864-0638

Better Technology, Better World (TM)

The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential.
Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it
without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to
waive any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message
without the permission of the author.