Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 AM
norman

Default 2 hard discs

Everything worked well until now. Having just updated Ubuntu 7.10, which
included a new kernel the entry for Windows in the start up menu has
disappeared. I checked in /boot/grub/menu.lst and, sure enough, the
following was no longer there:-

title Windows XP root (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0)(hd1)
map (hd1)(hd0)
chainloader +1

This was re-entered and, success, Windows was back in the start up menu.
The problem now is that root (hd1,0) is no longer recognised. Could some
kind person, please, tell me why this error is now there and what to do
to put things right.

Norman

Old 02-08-2008, 09:40 AM
norman

> Everything worked well until now. Having just updated Ubuntu 7.10, which
> included a new kernel the entry for Windows in the start up menu has
> disappeared. I checked in /boot/grub/menu.lst and, sure enough, the
> following was no longer there:-
>
> title Windows XP root (hd1,0)
> savedefault
> makeactive
> map (hd0)(hd1)
> map (hd1)(hd0)
> chainloader +1
>
> This was re-entered and, success, Windows was back in the start up menu.
> The problem now is that root (hd1,0) is no longer recognised. Could some
> kind person, please, tell me why this error is now there and what to do
> to put things right.

Sorry, the first 2 lines should read:-

title Windows XP
root (hd1,0)

Norman

Old 02-08-2008, 12:22 PM
norman

Sorry to have troubled you, I have sorted things out. There were two
typing errors the first was a '.' instead of a ',' and the second was
not leaving a space between two sets of brackets.

Norman