Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 PM
spiderslack

Default problems with lm-sensors

Hi All.

I'm using Ubuntu server 4.10 LTS. I installed lm-sensors, but can not
make it work. I run the sensors command without success.

root@ubuntu:~# sensors
No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
root@ubuntu:~#

So I run the command "sensor-detect answering YES and still does not
work. Been reading the site lm-sensors it needs to have an SMBus or I2C
or ISA space. I check my hardware (motherboard) possesses this support.
In one of the faqs site it says:

----
What sensors are available on my PC?
<http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/FAQ/Chapter1#WhatsensorsareavailableonmyPC>

Most PC's built since late 1997 now come with a hardware health
monitoring chip. This chip may be accessed via the ISA I/O ports or the
SMBus, depending on the motherboard. Sometimes is the monitoring block
embedded into super I/O chip, usually made by Winbond, ITE or SMSC.

---

My new hardware and it is possible to not support these requirements?
Below is the output of the command "sensors-detect". I forgot after the
command "sensor-detect" ran the command that he calls
'/etc/init.d/module-init-tools start ' and
'/etc/init.d/module-init-toolsstop'
"/etc/init.d/module-init-toolsstart' '/etc/init.d/module-init-tools
restart', also without success. : (

A question? Log in to post a list has some paste.bin? not to pollute the
email.

I was also looking at the output of lspci with the list of devices
supported by lm-sensors. as link and output of below command.

root@ubuntu:~# lspci | grep -i IDE
00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)

root@ubuntu:~#

http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices

Contained in them the drive to the VIA VT82C686 chipset but the module
does not rise. This is a bug?

root@ubuntu:~# modprobe via686a
root@ubuntu:~# sensors
No sensors found!
Make sure you loaded all the kernel drivers you need.
Try sensors-detect to find out which these are.
root@ubuntu:~#

Regards.

root@ubuntu:~# sensors-detect
# sensors-detect revision 5818 (2010-01-18 17:22:07 +0100)
# System: System manufacturer System Product Name
# Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5VD1-X

This program will help you determine which kernel modules you need
to load to use lm_sensors most effectively. It is generally safe
and recommended to accept the default answers to all questions,
unless you know what you're doing.

Some south bridges, CPUs or memory controllers contain embedded sensors.
Do you want to scan for them? This is totally safe. (YES/no): YES
Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595... No
VIA VT82C686 Integrated Sensors... No
VIA VT8231 Integrated Sensors... No
AMD K8 thermal sensors... No
AMD Family 10h thermal sensors... No
AMD Family 11h thermal sensors... No
Intel Core family thermal sensor... No
Intel Atom thermal sensor... No
Intel AMB FB-DIMM thermal sensor... No
VIA C7 thermal sensor... No
VIA Nano thermal sensor... No

Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): YES
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
Trying family `National Semiconductor'... No
Trying family `SMSC'... No
Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek'... Yes
Found `Winbond W83627EHF/EF/EHG/EG Super IO Sensors' Success!
(address 0x290, driver `w83627ehf')
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
Trying family `National Semiconductor'... No
Trying family `SMSC'... No
Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek'... No
Trying family `ITE'... No

Some systems (mainly servers) implement IPMI, a set of common interfaces
through which system health data may be retrieved, amongst other things.
We first try to get the information from SMBIOS. If we don't find it
there, we have to read from arbitrary I/O ports to probe for such
interfaces. This is normally safe. Do you want to scan for IPMI
interfaces? (YES/no): YES
Probing for `IPMI BMC KCS' at 0xca0... No
Probing for `IPMI BMC SMIC' at 0xca8... No

Some hardware monitoring chips are accessible through the ISA I/O ports.
We have to write to arbitrary I/O ports to probe them. This is usually
safe though. Yes, you do have ISA I/O ports even if you do not have any
ISA slots! Do you want to scan the ISA I/O ports? (yes/NO): YES
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78' at 0x290... No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM79' at 0x290... No
Probing for `Winbond W83781D' at 0x290... No
Probing for `Winbond W83782D' at 0x290... No

Lastly, we can probe the I2C/SMBus adapters for connected hardware
monitoring devices. This is the most risky part, and while it works
reasonably well on most systems, it has been reported to cause trouble
on some systems.
Do you want to probe the I2C/SMBus adapters now? (YES/no): YES
Using driver `i2c-viapro' for device 0000:00:11.0: VIA Technologies
VT8237 South Bridge

Next adapter: SMBus Via Pro adapter at 0400 (i2c-0)
Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): YES
Client found at address 0x50
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'... No
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'... No
Probing for `SPD EEPROM'... Yes
(confidence 8, not a hardware monitoring chip)
Probing for `EDID EEPROM'... No
Client found at address 0x52
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'... No
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'... No
Probing for `SPD EEPROM'... Yes
(confidence 8, not a hardware monitoring chip)

Next adapter: nouveau-0000:01:00.0-0 (i2c-1)
Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): YES
Client found at address 0x50
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'... No
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'... No
Probing for `SPD EEPROM'... No
Probing for `EDID EEPROM'... Yes
(confidence 8, not a hardware monitoring chip)

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `w83627ehf':
* ISA bus, address 0x290
Chip `Winbond W83627EHF/EF/EHG/EG Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

To load everything that is needed, add this to /etc/modules:
#----cut here----
# Chip drivers
w83627ehf
#----cut here----
If you have some drivers built into your kernel, the list above will
contain too many modules. Skip the appropriate ones!

Do you want to add these lines automatically to /etc/modules? (yes/NO)YES
Successful!

Monitoring programs won't work until the needed modules are
loaded. You may want to run '/etc/init.d/module-init-tools start'
to load them.

root@ubuntu:~#

Old 03-16-2011, 03:27 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 11:31 -0400, spiderslack wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu server 4.10 LTS. I installed lm-sensors, but can not
> make it work. I run the sensors command without success.

<Much stuff that should have been on pastebin trimmed>

Please install hwinfo if it is not already installed and post the output
of:

hwinfo | grep system.board.product
hwinfo | grep system.board.vendor

Have you tried "sudo sensors -s" yet? That forces a read
of /etc/sensors3.conf or /etc/sensors.d/sensors3.conf (if it exists) and
sets the limits. Man sensors has more info.

The lm-sensors web site (http://www.lm-sensors.org/) has lots of chipset
specific config files. I found one for my chipset and an earlier
version of my MB which seems to work fine with only minor modifications.

--
pongo pan