Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Niki Kovacs

Default Correct use of apt-get remove/purge/autoremove

Hi,

I'm currently trying to get a firmer grasp on package management.

1) 'apt-get remove' removes a package or a series of packages, but
leaves configuration files untouched. Plus, eventual dependencies are
also left on the system.

2) 'apt-get purge' removes a package or a series of packages, as well as
their respective configuration files. Eventual dependencies are left on
the system.

3) 'apt-get autoremove' removes a package as well as all the
dependencies that are only needed by this single package. On the other
hand, configuration files are left on the system.

It would seem logical to me to combine these, two, e. g. if I have
apache2 on a system and decide I don't want a web server anymore, to
'autoremove' the apache2 package (which comes with a bunch of
dependencies) as well as purge the whole cruft of configuration files.
But what would be the orthodox way of doing so?

Cheers from the rain-flooded South of France,

Niki

Old 03-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Florian Diesch

Am Mittwoch, den 16.03.2011, 09:18 +0100 schrieb Niki Kovacs
I'm currently trying to get a firmer grasp on package management.

1) 'apt-get remove' removes a package or a series of packages, but
leaves configuration files untouched. Plus, eventual dependencies are
also left on the system.

2) 'apt-get purge' removes a package or a series of packages, as well
as their respective configuration files. Eventual dependencies are
left on the system.

3) 'apt-get autoremove' removes a package as well as all the
dependencies that are only needed by this single package. On the
other

hand, configuration files are left on the system.

No, 'autoremove' removes all package that got automatically installed
to satisfy

dependencies, not just the ones for the given package.

It would seem logical to me to combine these, two, e. g. if I have
apache2 on a system and decide I don't want a web server anymore, to
'autoremove' the apache2 package (which comes with a bunch of
dependencies) as well as purge the whole cruft of configuration
files.

But what would be the orthodox way of doing so?

The --purge option makes apt-get to remove config files.

So 'apt-get purge' is the same as 'apt-get --purge remove' and
'apt-get --purge autoremove' is the "autopurge" you want.

--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de>
<http://identi.ca/diesch/>

Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Niki Kovacs

The --purge option makes apt-get to remove config files.

So 'apt-get purge' is the same as 'apt-get --purge remove' and
'apt-get --purge autoremove' is the "autopurge" you want.

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation!

Cheers,

Niki

Old 03-17-2011, 01:44 AM
NoOp

On 03/16/2011 01:18 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to get a firmer grasp on package management.

These might be worth reading & bookmarking:

https://help.ubuntu.com/
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareManagement
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/en/man8/apt-get.8.html

Sorry, not trying to RTFM you, just want to point out that there are
considerable resources & documentation regarding Ubuntu & I figure that
the links are also useful for other newcomers to Ubuntu as well.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:09 AM
Niki Kovacs

I'm currently trying to get a firmer grasp on package management.

These might be worth reading& bookmarking:

https://help.ubuntu.com/
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareManagement
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/en/man8/apt-get.8.html

Sorry, not trying to RTFM you, just want to point out that there are
considerable resources& documentation regarding Ubuntu& I figure that
the links are also useful for other newcomers to Ubuntu as well.

Thanks for the links, duly noted. I could also try reading "Ubuntu
efficace", written by Lionel Dricot, Mark Shuttleworth and... myself
("Kiki Novak" is my pen name, as in my mail address) :

http://tinyurl.com/5rghhce

I could also try to dig deeper and read my own 530 pages book about UNIX
fundamentals :

http://tinyurl.com/6bscb26

But you're right. Though I'm running an IT business specialized on
GNU/Linux and FOSS since the days of Slackware 7.1 (around 2001), I
still feel like a newcomer every day. Especially after reading your post )

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki

Old 03-17-2011, 05:42 AM
scott

[...]