Old 03-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Jacob Mansfield

Default boot screen = long list

sudo apt-get autoremove; sudo apt-get autocleanJacob Mansfield
Programmer
CyberKing Solutions™
www.cyberkingsolutions.co.uk - I do know the database is down

"When Windows™ is opened the bugs come in."
See*http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

On 15 March 2011 19:31, Cliffer Benny <cliffer.benny@gmail.com> wrote:

How come every time I update Ubuntu, it adds the updated version to the top of the Grub boot screen?
I've got a dozen Ubuntus to choose from.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Jo Galara

On 03/15/2011 08:31 PM, Cliffer Benny wrote:
> How come every time I update Ubuntu, it adds the updated version to the
> top of the Grub boot screen?
> I've got a dozen Ubuntus to choose from.
>
> Is there an easy way to fix this?

You mean the kernel versions? I think the Janitor can uninstall them for
you... If not, uninstall them manually.

Jo Galara

Old 03-17-2011, 02:24 AM
NoOp

On 03/15/2011 12:52 PM, Jacob Mansfield wrote:

> On 15 March 2011 19:31, Cliffer Benny <cliffer.benny@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How come every time I update Ubuntu, it adds the updated version to the top
>> of the Grub boot screen?
>> I've got a dozen Ubuntus to choose from.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to fix this?
>>
>> --

Fixed your post:
> sudo apt-get autoremove; sudo apt-get autoclean
...<snip>

> "When Windows™ is opened the bugs come in."

<snip>

See:
[Mailing list etiquette & Technical guidelines|Proper quoting:|Write
your email underneath the email which you are replying to.]
Note: you've been asked do this in the past.

That said: just how do you figure that 'autoremove and/or 'autoclean'
will resolve the OP's issue?

@Cliffer: 'System|Administration|Computer Janitor' will check your
system and offer to remove the excess kernels. However CJ also has a
tendency to mark for removal dpkg installed packages and others that it
has no business doing - and so I don't trust it. So here is what I
recommend:

1. Open a terminal and issue the following commands (note the $ is the
command prompt so you don't enter that bit):

$ sudo update-grub

That will produce an output similar to:
$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for <user>:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-28-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-28-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-27-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-27-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-26-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-26-generic

As you can see from the above, I keep 2 kernels available; the primary
-28, and the previous -27. I do this because I may have issues with the
latest -28 and keep the -27 to fall back on. Other than that, I see no
reason to keep any older kernels (unless I am on a test system).

In your case you'll most likely find many more than -28 and -27, so
simply copy the kernel number (2.6.35-x) and open Synaptic:
'System|Administration|Synaptic...' and enter the kernel in the search
box: 2.6.35- (and/or 2.6.32- if you've upgraded from lucid 10.04)
find the ones that are not the two most recent & click the 'S' column
header to sort by the one's installed. The ones installed will show with
Green boxes in the 'S' Column; select all but the most recent & the last
by right-clicking and select 'Mark for Complete Removal', then click
'Apply'. That will remove all but the latest two kernels.

Synaptic _should_ take care of your grub menu configuration, but just to
be sure I recommend opening a terminal again
(Applications|Accessories|Terminal) and issuing:

$ sudo update-grub

You should now only see the two kernels like the output of my example.
Let us know if you have any further questions.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Cliffer Benny

Problem solved. Thank you very much!
The other suggestions did nothing

On 03/15/2011 12:52 PM, Jacob Mansfield wrote:

> On 15 March 2011 19:31, Cliffer Benny <cliffer.benny@gmail.com> wrote:

>> How come every time I update Ubuntu, it adds the updated version to the top

>> of the Grub boot screen?

>> I've got a dozen Ubuntus to choose from.

>> Is there an easy way to fix this?

>> --

Fixed your post:

Old 03-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Pete

How come every time I update Ubuntu, it adds the updated version to the
top of the Grub boot screen?
I've got a dozen Ubuntus to choose from.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

You mean the kernel versions? I think the Janitor can uninstall them for
you... If not, uninstall them manually.

You can always use 'Ubuntu Tweak' not in repo's (as far as i know!) but
is on launchpad ppa > /ppa.launchpad.net/tualatrix/ppa/ubuntu
I've found it great for things like that as well as tweaking Ubuntu
graphically

Regards

Pete