Old 03-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Andy Graybeal

Default Moving Swap file

Hello,
I'd like to move our swap file onto our RAID array.

This is my fstab:

#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/dev/mapper/buddleia_vg-root_lv / ext4
relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/mapper/data_vg-home_lv /home ext4 relatime 0
2
/dev/mapper/data_vg-srv_lv /srv ext4 acl,relatime 0
2
/dev/mapper/buddleia_vg-swap_lv none swap sw
0 0

/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/sdf1 /media/maxtor ntfs-3g rw 0 0
root@buddleia:~#

/srv is where all our data lives.

Should I make a swap file? I'm reading this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

It looks like making a swap partition would be best, but I'm afraid to
mess around with partitions because I'm afraid of messing up. I'd
rather do this when I have some downtime. Maybe re-do the whole
partitions scheme.

Can I simply follow the SwapFaq instructions for making a swapfile and
comment out my current swap partition in fstab?

thanks,
Andy

Old 03-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 09:00 -0400, Andy Graybeal wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to move our swap file onto our RAID array.

Swapfiles these days are just as efficient as a swap partition. I'd
just make a swapfile. It is simple and incurs almost no performance
penalty.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 03-15-2011, 01:00 PM

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:00, Andy Graybeal
<andy.graybeal@casanueva.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to move our swap file onto our RAID array.

Might I ask why you'd want to do this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily trying to dissuade you from
doing so, but in general, you shouldn't really see any benefit to
moving swap onto an external RAID enclosure, at least not enough
benefit to make it worthwhile.

If you're using only a little swap, then you'd be better off looking
into performance tuning and such. If you're using swap space
constantly, then it's probably time to look into either improving the
hardware (more ram predominately) or getting a new server and
offsetting some of the work. Swap space is fine to use, but it's
incredibly slow when your system has to start swapping memory pages on
and off disk, and so, IMHO, in a production system it's better in the
long term to solve the problem of why you're hitting swap to begin
with.

But that's just my opinion.

As for your actual question... are buddleia and data two separate
LVMs? ANd how much swap do you have right now? (running the Free
command will show this)

So I'm getting back to the "Do you even need to worry about it" question.

Cheers,

Jeff