Old 03-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Niki Kovacs

Default Upgrade package using dpkg?

Hi,

I wonder if there's a way to upgrade a package using dpkg, sort of the
equivalent of 'rpm -Uvh' for Debian/Ubuntu. 'man dpkg' doesn't contain
any information about that.

Any suggestions ?

Niki Kovacs

Old 03-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Niki Kovacs

Le 15/03/2011 10:52, Niki Kovacs a écrit :

Hi,

I wonder if there's a way to upgrade a package using dpkg, sort of the
equivalent of 'rpm -Uvh' for Debian/Ubuntu. 'man dpkg' doesn't contain
any information about that.

Any suggestions ?

Niki Kovacs

I'll answer that myself, since I fiddled around with the command, and I
found the solution. Apparently, 'dpkg --install' (or 'dpkg -i') manages
installing as well as updating a package. A bit like rpm -Uvh manages
both, except the other way around )

Cheers from the rainy South of France,

Niki

Old 03-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 5:52 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:

> I wonder if there's a way to upgrade a package using dpkg, sort of the
> equivalent of 'rpm -Uvh' for Debian/Ubuntu. 'man dpkg' doesn't contain any
> information about that.

Install and upgrade with dpkg are the same "dpkg -i".

You can add "--refuse-downgrade" so as not to downgrade a package by
mistake or "--force-downgrade" to force one.