Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 PM
scar

Default Will DDR3 memory freeze 10.04?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:35 PM
"J. L."

Am 14.03.2011 21:10 schrieb scar:

> Trying desperately to figure out why a brand-new system running 10.04
> 64-bit keeps freezing after 3-5 days uptime. power supply tests good,
> memtest reports no errors after going through 1 pass, i re-greased the
> cpu, fans running fine, tried running the system w/o graphics card
> completely....
>
> Is it the DDR3 memory? I understand ubuntu doesn't support that speed
> yet. Or maybe some other new technology that ubuntu is tripping over?
> it's an ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 motherboard.

Here absolutely no problems with Asrock M3A790GXH/128M, Phenom-II-955-C3
and 4 as well as 8 GB of Kingston 1333 MHz DDR3 ram; (K)ubuntu 10.04, 32
as well as 64 bit versions

Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Larry Vaden

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM, scar <scar@drigon.com> wrote:

> Trying desperately to figure out why a brand-new system running 10.04
> 64-bit keeps freezing after 3-5 days uptime. *power supply tests good,
> memtest reports no errors after going through 1 pass

Make sure you have good clean solid power and please consider running
the memtest for a _MUCH LONGER_ period of time.

We used to not ship systems that exhibited a problem during a 1 week burn-in.

rgds/ldv

Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 PM
"J. L."

Am 14.03.2011 21:53 schrieb Larry Vaden:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM, scar <scar@drigon.com> wrote:
>>
>> Trying desperately to figure out why a brand-new system running 10.04
>> 64-bit keeps freezing after 3-5 days uptime. power supply tests good,
>> memtest reports no errors after going through 1 pass
>
> Make sure you have good clean solid power and please consider running
> the memtest for a _MUCH LONGER_ period of time.
>
> We used to not ship systems that exhibited a problem during a 1 week burn-in.

Full ack!

I found power supply instabilities (for example 3,15 instead of the
specified 3,3 Volts or any other voltages) quite often to be the cause
for system instabilities.

And memtest should be run "as long as possible" but at least for two
whole days.

Two- or threetimes i sat in front of a "problematic" system in which
case it _really_DID_help_ to take the memory modules out of the board,
to clean the electrical contacts _cautiously_ as well as thoroughly,
re-insert the same modules and all was well and fine ...

Good luck!

J. L.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:13 PM
scar

Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 PM
"J. L."

Am 14.03.2011 23:13 schrieb scar:

> J. L. @ 03/14/2011 02:22 PM:

>>> Make sure you have good clean solid power and please consider running
>>> the memtest for a _MUCH LONGER_ period of time.
>>>
>> Full ack!
>>
>> I found power supply instabilities (for example 3,15 instead of the
>> specified 3,3 Volts or any other voltages) quite often to be the cause
>> for system instabilities.
>>
>> And memtest should be run "as long as possible" but at least for two
>> whole days.
>>

> Thanks.
>
> i'm reluctant to run memtest for so long since the machine is already
> deployed, but it looks i'll need to.

Even the best memory testing sw can only test a "few" / a certain amount
of all possible bit patterns in memory and some errors do not occur
regularly and only "from time to time" or under "certain circumstances".
Rising temperatures after several working hours or days should not be
neglected as possible causes. And and and ...

> so, if, after several days of memtest, errors do start showing up, how
> can i know that the memory is the culprit? the memory is ECC so i kind
> of thought that was what ECC was for, to prevent memory errors from
> taking down the system??

Are we talking of "good" memory from for example Kingston, Corsair or
Crucial or some kind of "no-name-memory"?

And normal ECC-memory can only "correct" single-bit-failures ...

Start with one module, run the tests, add another module, run the tests,
change memory slots, run the tests ...

> is it more likely it could be the power supply? i have one of those
> blocks that i plug the headers into and all the lights are green (except
> for one, but i contacted Antec and they said that was normal for this
> supply)

Don't know Your specific psu; but i've seen definitely more than ten
psus that caused problems for different reasons: Rising temperatures,
"cheap" capacitors (on the maiboard for example too), unstable or too
low or too high voltages especially but not only under (high) load
conditions and so on ...

Try to check at least the voltages with a circuit analyser or multimeter
or perhaps simply try to check another psu.

Good luck!

J. L.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Larry Vaden

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM, scar <scar@drigon.com> wrote:

> Trying desperately to figure out why a brand-new system running 10.04
> 64-bit keeps freezing after 3-5 days uptime.

If you are certain you have good AC power to the unit, then I would
ask the vendor for advanced replacement overnight at their expense
both directions.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Thibault Dupuis

Old 03-15-2011, 01:00 AM
"J. L."

Am 15.03.2011 02:23 schrieb scar:

> J. L. @ 03/14/2011 04:02 PM:
>> Are we talking of "good" memory from for example Kingston, Corsair or
>> Crucial or some kind of "no-name-memory"?
>
> Kingston. i've got memtest running with 2 4GB modules installed. might
> as well let that run for a few days and then try one at a time

That's quite good! In more than 20 years of IT-activity i had just one
defective module from Kingston which they replaced after a little
"discussion" which i had not expected (to my knowledge they still offer
lifelong guarantee).

But You should be able to "proof" by some kind of error log or whatever
that it is their memory that's causing Your problem.

Sorry for You but there might be a lot of other causes for Your problems
... (graphics adaptor, memory, cpu, mainboard, nic or any other adaptor,
psu ... just to name the most prospective ...)

> Antec TP-550. i have a multimeter, but honestly don't know what to look
> for.

Google might be Your friend ...! ;-)

For example i found these in just seconds:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/power-supply-test-multimeter.htm
http://www.certiguide.com/apfr/cg_apfr_TestinganATXPowerSupply.htm
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/a/power-supply-voltage-tolerance.htm

> i guess best thing i can do at this point is to contact Antec/Kingston
> and see what they say about replacement.

Good luck but You should be able to have some "proof" or at least a very
thorough hint / indication for each of them. You should not expect that
any manufacturer is just too glad about any kind of RMA-transactions ...
Sorry!

Did You buy all the parts of Your system at only one dealer? Then, at
least here in Germany, You should only have to "contact" Your dealer and
not several manufacturers as these tend to "believe" that it is of
course not their product that is causing the problems as these are "of
course" free of any faults and that You should therefore contact
somebody else ...

Still good luck!

J. L.