-   -   what plugin is required to watch this link (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/500999-what-plugin-required-watch-link.html)

Tapas Mishra 03-14-2011 11:52 AM

what plugin is required to watch this link

http://livetubetv.in/video/OKH25HG7R2SB/JAPAN-TSUNAMI-LIVE-NEWS-FROM-JAPAN

I can see youtube videos on firefox and chrome on my system but above link
searches for some plugin and then does not play saying microsoft media
protocol it
does not have any suitable plugin.
What command should I use so that I can post all the multimedia plugins
installed on my system here.

David Fletcher 03-14-2011 12:31 PM

On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 18:22 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> http://livetubetv.in/video/OKH25HG7R2SB/JAPAN-TSUNAMI-LIVE-NEWS-FROM-JAPAN
>
> I can see youtube videos on firefox and chrome on my system but above link
> searches for some plugin and then does not play saying microsoft media
> protocol it
> does not have any suitable plugin.
> What command should I use so that I can post all the multimedia plugins
> installed on my system here.

It's working fine for me without doing anything. I'm using 10.10 and
Chrome.

Did you tell the installer to include the extra media software?

Dave

R Kimber 03-14-2011 12:58 PM

what plugin is required to watch this link

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:22:47 +0530
Tapas Mishra wrote:

> http://livetubetv.in/video/OKH25HG7R2SB/JAPAN-TSUNAMI-LIVE-NEWS-FROM-JAPAN
>
> I can see youtube videos on firefox and chrome on my system but above link
> searches for some plugin and then does not play saying microsoft media
> protocol it
> does not have any suitable plugin.
> What command should I use so that I can post all the multimedia plugins
> installed on my system here.

xine works on my system

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Tapas Mishra 03-14-2011 02:29 PM

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 7:01 PM, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 18:22 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> http://livetubetv.in/video/OKH25HG7R2SB/JAPAN-TSUNAMI-LIVE-NEWS-FROM-JAPAN
>>
>> I can see youtube videos on firefox and chrome on my system but above link
>> searches for some plugin and then does not play saying microsoft media
>> protocol it
>> does not have any suitable plugin.
>> What command should I use so that I can post all the multimedia plugins
>> *installed on my system here.
>>

> It's working fine for me without doing anything. I'm using 10.10 and
> Chrome.
>
> Did you tell the installer to include the extra media software?
>
> Dave
I installed ubuntu a few months back I do not remember what I did that time.

Alan Pope 03-14-2011 02:42 PM

On 14 March 2011 15:29, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed ubuntu a few months back I do not remember what I did that time.

Easiest thing to do is open the source for the html page and look for
the embed url.

vlc can open the stream if you specify the url
mms://nhk-world.gekimedia.net/nhkw-highm

mplayer can too. I was able to dump the video out:-

alan@mrevo:~$ mplayer -dumpstream mms://nhk-world.gekimedia.net/nhkw-highm
MPlayer 1.0rc4-4.4.5 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing mms://nhk-world.gekimedia.net/nhkw-highm.
STREAM_ASF, URL: mms://nhk-world.gekimedia.net/nhkw-highm
Resolving nhk-world.gekimedia.net for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: nhk-world.gekimedia.net
Resolving nhk-world.gekimedia.net for AF_INET...
Connecting to server nhk-world.gekimedia.net[198.107.142.52]: 1755...
Connected
unknown object
file object, packet length = 1444 (1444)
unknown object
stream object, stream ID: 1
stream object, stream ID: 2
unknown object
unknown object
data object
mmst packet_length = 1444
Cache size set to 64 KBytes
Stream not seekable!

I left that running for a bit and ended up with this file:-

alan@mrevo:~$ ls -l stream.dump
-rw-r--r-- 1 alan alan 2.4M 2011-03-14 15:35 stream.dump
alan@mrevo:~$ file stream.dump
stream.dump: Microsoft ASF

So that works.

Al.

NoOp 03-14-2011 06:33 PM

On 03/14/2011 05:52 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> http://livetubetv.in/video/OKH25HG7R2SB/JAPAN-TSUNAMI-LIVE-NEWS-FROM-JAPAN
>
> I can see youtube videos on firefox and chrome on my system but above link
> searches for some plugin and then does not play saying microsoft media
> protocol it
> does not have any suitable plugin.

Windows Media Player Plug-in

$ sudo apt-get install gnome-mplayer
$ sudo apt-get install gecko-mediaplayer

James 03-14-2011 09:09 PM

what plugin is required to watch this link

Hi Guys

> On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 18:22 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> > http://livetubetv.in/video/OKH25HG7R2SB/JAPAN-TSUNAMI-LIVE-
NEWS-FROM-JAPA

> > I can see youtube videos on firefox and chrome on my system but
above
> > link searches for some plugin and then does not play saying
microsoft
> > media protocol it
> > does not have any suitable plugin.
> > What command should I use so that I can post all the multimedia
plugins

> > installed on my system here.
>
> It's working fine for me without doing anything. I'm using 10.10 and
> Chrome.
>
> Did you tell the installer to include the extra media software?
>
> Dave

Usually I think the flash plugin is required and checking the page
source reveals *** This content requires JavaScript and Macromedia
Flash Player 7 or higher *** So flash is indeed what is needed

James

NoOp 03-14-2011 11:33 PM

On 03/14/2011 03:09 PM, James wrote:
> Usually I think the flash plugin is required and checking the page
> source reveals *** This content requires JavaScript and Macromedia
> Flash Player 7 or higher *** So flash is indeed what is needed

No. I can easily turn flash on/off at will. Flash is not used in the
video. Further, flash (current) is:
Shockwave Flash

File: /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
Version:
Shockwave Flash 10.2 r152

Alan Pope 03-15-2011 08:28 AM

On 14 March 2011 22:09, James <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> wrote:
> Usually I think the flash plugin is required and checking the page
> source reveals *** This content requires JavaScript and Macromedia
> Flash Player 7 or higher *** So flash is indeed what is needed

Nope. There may well be flash elements on the page, but the video is
not rendered by the flash plugin.

Al.