Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Andi Meier

Default installer does not find a network - but a live system does ... wtf?

*bump*

in short terms: Ubuntu cannot find any working network although it is there. Here come the symptoms:

(everything on the same PC

(case a) boot Ubuntu Live 10.04 from USB flash drive => Ubuntu is able to retrieve IP address via DHCP => OK

(case b) boot Ubuntu 10.04 from harddrive (installed system) => Ubuntu is not able to find ANY DHCP server, is
not even able to detect any network, also with static IP it is not able to find any network

(case c) launch Ubuntu 10.04 installer from USB flash drive => same as (case b): unable to find any network or any DHCP server

How is this possible? I don't have a clue.

Cheers,
Andi

Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Steven Susbauer

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Andi Meier <andimeier@gmx.net> wrote:
> *bump*
>
> in short terms: Ubuntu cannot find any working network although it is there. Here come the symptoms:
>
> (everything on the same PC
>
> *(case a) boot Ubuntu Live 10.04 from USB flash drive => Ubuntu is able to retrieve IP address via DHCP => OK
>
> *(case b) boot Ubuntu 10.04 from harddrive (installed system) => Ubuntu is not able to find ANY DHCP server, is
> * * *not even able to detect any network, also with static IP it is not able to find any network
>
> *(case c) launch Ubuntu 10.04 installer from USB flash drive => same as (case b): unable to find any network or any DHCP server
>
> How is this possible? I don't have a clue.
>
> Cheers,
> Andi

I experienced a similar issue to this when installing 10.4 in the
past. Is this a wired or wireless network? Does the interface show up
in ifconfig? Any messages in dmesg?

When I had this issue it was a wireless network card and the installer
did not install the appropriate firmware for it, but the firmware was
included in the Live version (not included in the basic installer at
all). If your issue is similar, you may be able to manually install
the firmware packages off of a usb stick. I believe configuring the
network on the Live CD was enough for it to figure out that those
packages also needed to be included, but it was hit or miss.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Nathan Bahn

in short terms: Ubuntu cannot find any working network although it is there. Here come the symptoms:

(everything on the same PC

*(case a) boot Ubuntu Live 10.04 from USB flash drive => Ubuntu is able to retrieve IP address via DHCP => OK

*(case b) boot Ubuntu 10.04 from harddrive (installed system) => Ubuntu is not able to find ANY DHCP server, is

* * *not even able to detect any network, also with static IP it is not able to find any network

*(case c) launch Ubuntu 10.04 installer from USB flash drive => same as (case b): unable to find any network or any DHCP server

How is this possible? I don't have a clue.

Cheers,

Andi

A.M.--
I donīt know if this will work, but have you tried using the Synaptic Package Manager to enable the Wicd?
--N.B.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html & http://www.libreoffice.org/ (Nathan Bahn)

Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Andi Meier

On 14.03.2011 17:30, Steven Susbauer wrote:
> I experienced a similar issue to this when installing 10.4 in the
> past. Is this a wired or wireless network? Does the interface show up
> in ifconfig? Any messages in dmesg?

The network is connected via the on-board ethernet LAN connector (no WLAN, but "wired" LAN).

When I boot via 10.04 live (working), I can see two relevant lines in dmesg:

line 620: [ 6.705042] eth0: RTL8168d/8111d at 0xffffc90000332000, 00:26:18:f0:1d:43, XID 083000c0 IRQ 26
line 756: [ 40.718638] r8169: eth0: link up

However, after booting from hard disk, the related lines in dmesg are:

line 606: [ 1.518272] eth0: RTL8168d/8111d at 0xffffc9000291e000, 00:26:18:f0:1d:43, XID 083000c0 IRQ 26
line 719: [ 6.426029] r8169: eth0: link down

Note that it says "link down". Now it would be interesting what causes Ubuntu to think that the interface is down?

I should also note that I never really configured the network on installing onto hard disk or in the Live system. Instead, I always let the
installer/loader just find the DHCP data itself - this has always worked.

Even more info: the system 10.04 server 64-bit - which has this weird network problems - has actually been installed a few months ago on
this PC and used to work flawlessly, no issues at all never ever with the network. Then I tried to upgrade to 10.10 and then switched back
to 10.04. Since then, I have this network problem.

Cheers,
Andi

Old 03-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Andi Meier

On 14.03.2011 18:09, Nathan Bahn wrote:
> A.M.--
> I donīt know if this will work, but have you tried using the Synaptic Package Manager to enable the Wicd?
> --N.B.

Hello N.B.,

actually I do not have a GUI, it is 10.04 server 64bit, pure console. Yeah, I could try install and work with X, but I suspect that Wicd
would only need (as a prerequisite) a linked network adapter, so that it can put its magic on it. If I understand this correctly, then Wicd
would not help because the problem lies deeper. Furthermore, installing X may pose a problem to me without a network.

But I do not really know Wicd - maybe it could help with diagnosis? I'm not sure ... I think I just try to nail the issue down using log
files etc. As a last resort I can try to use Wicd ...

I hope I am not missing something.

Andi

Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Nathan Bahn

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Andi Meier <andimeier@gmx.net> wrote:

On 14.03.2011 18:09, Nathan Bahn wrote:

> A.M.--

> I donīt know if this will work, but have you tried using the Synaptic Package Manager to enable the Wicd?

> --N.B.

Hello N.B.,

actually I do not have a GUI, it is 10.04 server 64bit, pure console. Yeah, I could try install and work with X, but I suspect that Wicd

would only need (as a prerequisite) a linked network adapter, so that it can put its magic on it. If I understand this correctly, then Wicd

would not help because the problem lies deeper. Furthermore, installing X may pose a problem to me without a network.

But I do not really know Wicd - maybe it could help with diagnosis? I'm not sure ... I think I just try to nail the issue down using log

files etc. As a last resort I can try to use Wicd ...

I hope I am not missing something.

Andi

A.M.--

Actually, the Wicd CAN be installed via the C.L.I. -- I just donīt remember the commands! (I am very VERY weak at the C.L.I.!)

Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Andi Meier

> Actually, the Wicd CAN be installed via the C.L.I. -- I just donīt remember the commands! (I am very VERY weak at the C.L.I.!)

Ah, I see. But still I'm a little bit reluctant because ... I have no network connection so I am not able to install anything, not even a
small CLI tool. So this would mean that I have to go through the entire installation routine and reinstall the system. During installation,
I would have to include the package Wicd.

I think I'll give it a try when I can see no other possibility. Still I think that my problem is just a little something. I have the feeling
that once I got the right idea (or maybe hint from someone) it is a snap to repair.

Nonetheless I appreciate your help very much - maybe I have to resort to Wicd - let's see ...

Andi

Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
user1

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 00:35:52 +0100, Andi Meier wrote:

> a newly installed Ubuntu 10.04 is working - well, almost. there is no
> network,

I am using 10.10.

I have been using both network-manager and wicd when I had problems.

It seems to me, that now network-manager is working well.

I have installed:

network-manager, network-manager-gnome, network-manager-pptp all
installed by itself during new installation.

I have just been on a trip abroad, and everywhere my laptop connected
well with various wireless routers.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Andi Meier

I have some news: I observed strange phenomena:

directly after boot: no network.

Then, I tried the following sequence of commands (in chronological order):

ifdown eth0 => send_packet: Network is unreachable
ifup eth0 => No DHCPOFFERS received [=> Network is unreachable]
ifup eth0 => ifup: interface eth0 already configured
ifdown eth0 => send_packet: Network is unreachable
ifdown eth0 => ifdown: interface eth0 not configured
ifup eth0 => bound to 192.168.178.35 -- renewal in 364413 seconds (!!! SUCCESS !!!)

I don't know if the network is stable now, I just saw that it works. I was also able to do a "apt-get dist-upgrade" without problems (took
approx. 20 minutes, downloaded some 300 MB).

Is there any sensible and rational explanation for this? Or does this indicate I have a hardware issue? What a coincidence this would be:
exactly when upgrading to 10.10 and going back, the on-board network controller goes nuts???

Andi

Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 PM
NoOp

On 03/09/2011 03:35 PM, Andi Meier wrote:
> a newly installed Ubuntu 10.04 is working - well, almost. there is no
> network, I have a DHCP server but somehow the system would not
> receive any DHCPOFFERs - I don't know why. the DHCP server is up and
> running, the network is attached, all is well.

These may (or may not) be of help/use:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetAndNetworking
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/internet/C/index.html