-   -   Need More Testers Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3... (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/500830-need-more-testers-ubuntu-11-04-alpha-3-a.html)

"Cybe R. Wizard" 03-13-2011 09:42 PM

Need More Testers Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3...

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 18:23:51 -0400
Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO@AOL.com> wrote:

> Need More Testers Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3...
>
> Hi,
>
> The future of Ubuntu is quickly approaching.
> We need more people to download, install, and test
> Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3.
>
> If you don't feel comfortable installing it natively
> then you can install it into a VirtualBox virtual machine.
>
> Beta # 1 is to be released on March 31st...
>
> Jesse

...and you speak for Ubuntu, how?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Jesse Palser 03-13-2011 09:50 PM

On 03/13/2011 06:42 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 18:23:51 -0400
Jesse Palser<SLNTHERO@AOL.com> wrote:

Need More Testers Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3...

Hi,

The future of Ubuntu is quickly approaching.
We need more people to download, install, and test
Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3.

If you don't feel comfortable installing it natively
then you can install it into a VirtualBox virtual machine.

Beta # 1 is to be released on March 31st...

Jesse

...and you speak for Ubuntu, how?

Cybe R. Wizard

Just a simple user.

Here is a screenshot of my testing:
http://16bitsoft.com/images/U11.04A3-Testing01.png
(example of 11.04 Alpha 3 in VirtualBox)

Jesse

Jeff Lane 03-14-2011 04:02 AM

Need More Testers Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3...

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 18:42, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 18:23:51 -0400
> Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO@AOL.com> wrote:
>
>> Need More Testers Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3...
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The future of Ubuntu is quickly approaching.
>> We need more people to download, install, and test
>> Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3.
>>
>> If you don't feel comfortable installing it natively
>> then you can install it into a VirtualBox virtual machine.
>>
>> Beta # 1 is to be released on March 31st...
>>
>> Jesse
>>
> ...and you speak for Ubuntu, how?

Did he say anything untrue?

The release date for 11.04 (and Beta 1) is rapidly approaching.
11.04 IS the future of Ubuntu. It's not the past, those are already
released... though I guess you could consider the updates for each as
the future-past.
More people testing the daily ISO builds and especially Unity and
other aspects are always welcome, and the more people testing and
filing bugs the better.
The only thing I would perhaps somewhat disagree with is that
generally, running in VirtualBox will give you a 2D environment
(GNOME) whereas other virtualization systems may give you a better
chance at getting Unity running. I don't know, for sure, how easy it
is to get 3D into 11.04 on VirtualBox, though... I do my Unity testing
on bare metal and use VMs for installer/ISO testing instead.
And the current schedule DOES list Beta 1 as releasing on 31 March
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyReleaseSchedule)

So what exactly are you disagreeing with?

I'd suggest that the only REAL issue is that he posted to a support
list rather than Sounder, or any other place, but it's not like he's
the only person here who's guilty of off-topic posting, and at least
his off-topic posting is somewhat topical.

So again, what exactly are you disagreeing with?

Cheers,

Jeff

James 03-14-2011 04:52 AM

Need More Testers Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3...

Hi Jeff

> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 18:42, Cybe R. Wizard
>
> <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 18:23:51 -0400
> >
> > Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO@AOL.com> wrote:
> >> Need More Testers Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3...
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The future of Ubuntu is quickly approaching.
> >> We need more people to download, install, and test
> >> Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3.
> >>
> >> If you don't feel comfortable installing it natively
> >> then you can install it into a VirtualBox virtual machine.
> >>
> >> Beta # 1 is to be released on March 31st...
> >>
> >> Jesse
> >
> > ...and you speak for Ubuntu, how?
>
> Did he say anything untrue?
>
> The release date for 11.04 (and Beta 1) is rapidly approaching.
> 11.04 IS the future of Ubuntu. It's not the past, those are already
> released... though I guess you could consider the updates for each
as
> the future-past.
> More people testing the daily ISO builds and especially Unity and
> other aspects are always welcome, and the more people testing and
> filing bugs the better.
> The only thing I would perhaps somewhat disagree with is that
> generally, running in VirtualBox will give you a 2D environment
> (GNOME) whereas other virtualization systems may give you a better
> chance at getting Unity running. I don't know, for sure, how easy it
> is to get 3D into 11.04 on VirtualBox, though... I do my Unity testing
> on bare metal and use VMs for installer/ISO testing instead.
> And the current schedule DOES list Beta 1 as releasing on 31 March
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyReleaseSchedule)
>
> So what exactly are you disagreeing with?
>
> I'd suggest that the only REAL issue is that he posted to a support
> list rather than Sounder, or any other place, but it's not like he's
> the only person here who's guilty of off-topic posting, and at least
> his off-topic posting is somewhat topical.
>
> So again, what exactly are you disagreeing with?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff

Not sure I understand the nature of the disagreement either. Basically
says more testers are needed for the future version. If they don't like
the idea of installing the Alpha version as the main OS they can install it
on a virtual machine which in effect leaves their system untouched "as
it were".

I see nothing wrong with the post either apart from your own
observation and personally I don't think it a major issue. Hell, I'd cosider
installing it side by side with an earlier version to see how it goes which
is yet another option. The testing of course may be relevant in that it
will help identifiy possible technical issues as well as bugs as well as
finding willing participants to test it

Just a few thoughts
James

"Chris" 03-14-2011 05:30 AM

Need More Testers Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3...

I must apologize for the top post.

I suspect the original replay was more of questioning the assumed authenticity of the post.

At first glance one might read it as an official request coming from someone within Ubuntu.

Its certainly written that way.
Assuming that's the case, that could prompt the questioning that Cybe did.

Sent from my BlackBerry®

Tom H 03-14-2011 07:48 AM

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO@aol.com> wrote:

> Here is a screenshot of my testing:
> http://16bitsoft.com/images/U11.04A3-Testing01.png
> (example of 11.04 Alpha 3 in VirtualBox)

This doesn't look like Unity though.

"Cybe R. Wizard" 03-14-2011 09:45 AM

Need More Testers Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3...

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 01:02:07 -0400
Jeff Lane <jeff@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 18:42, Cybe R. Wizard
> <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 18:23:51 -0400
> > Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO@AOL.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Need More Testers Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3...
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The future of Ubuntu is quickly approaching.
> >> We need more people to download, install, and test
> >> Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3.
> >>
> >> If you don't feel comfortable installing it natively
> >> then you can install it into a VirtualBox virtual machine.
> >>
> >> Beta # 1 is to be released on March 31st...
> >>
> >> Jesse
> >>
> > ...and you speak for Ubuntu, how?
>
> Did he say anything untrue?

Why, no. Did I in any way intimate that he had?

[Narwal coming out]

> So what exactly are you disagreeing with?

Where was it, again, that I disagreed with anything at all? I don't
understand where you are coming from with your question. Did you read
someone else's post? Mine was short, to the point /and questioning/,
not disagreeing with anything.

> I'd suggest that the only REAL issue is that he posted to a support
> list rather than Sounder, or any other place, but it's not like he's
> the only person here who's guilty of off-topic posting, and at least
> his off-topic posting is somewhat topical.
>
> So again, what exactly are you disagreeing with?

And again, I didn't and haven't disagreed with anything in his post.
Where do you find disagreement? ...and why, since it obviously isn't
there?

> Cheers,
>
> Jeff

I /did/ question his place to issue a call for testers /in the name of
Ubuntu/. His use of the word, "we," in his post surely indicates to
you, as it did to me, that he speaks for Ubuntu. I doubt that that's
the case, whether or not the /need/ is truly there, a point which
I /do not/ argue.

Can you now see that I did /not/ disagree with what he said, only
questioned his right, not to say it, but to phrase it in such a
way that it seemed to issue from the Ubu Powers That Be?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
It helps to read my posts for actual content, and with an un-biased
mind.

Larry Vaden 03-14-2011 10:12 AM

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO@aol.com> wrote:
> Need More Testers Of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3...
>
> Hi,
>
> The future of Ubuntu is quickly approaching.
> We need more people to download, install, and test
> Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha # 3.

By "we" and your AOL email address, I presume you mean the Community,
so upon receipt, you catalyzed the upgrade of my main at home box from
Lubuntu 10.10-LXDE+XFCE4 to Natty Alpha RC3.

The only observed casualty has been the GUI Update Manager
self-invoked and came up with a BIG RED ICON and declared "thou shalt
not do an unsupported upgrade" or words to that effect. However, I
just invoked it and it is now happy, saying the system is up to date
and the last update occurred 10 hours ago. No loss if that group
doesn't care to move forward, since I use apt-get+aptitude for package
management.

We've been running Natty Alpha RC2 Server on one box in production
since it came out (albeit an NMC, not directly facing the public) ---
it is FINE.

We are new to Ubuntu since RedHat dropped support in RH6 for the
cpqarray which runs our RAID arrays on Compaq Proliant boxen.
Actually, Ubuntu won't load on the Compaq+Smart RAID cards either, but
Debian 6 does. Queries to ubuntu-installers have gone unanswered for
a week now.

Sorry, I don't care to play the Unity game ... too much bad PR already
and we're a rural ISP which doesn't need Unity to serve our
subscribers.

kind regards/ldv

--
Larry Vaden, CoFounder
Internet Texoma, Inc.

Jesse Palser 03-14-2011 10:59 AM

On 03/14/2011 04:48 AM, Tom H wrote:

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Jesse Palser<SLNTHERO@aol.com> wrote:

Here is a screenshot of my testing:
http://16bitsoft.com/images/U11.04A3-Testing01.png
(example of 11.04 Alpha 3 in VirtualBox)

This doesn't look like Unity though.

Hi,

If you want the new Unity desktop in VirtualBox
then goto this web page and follow its instructions:
http://www.techvivid.com/2010/12/ubuntu-11-04-natty-narwhal-unity-on-virtualbox-4-0

I tried new Unity desktop and did not like it
so I booted into "Ubuntu Classic Desktop"
at the login screen...

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I am just a user
who is very interested in proper development of 11.04.

Jesse

Larry Vaden 03-14-2011 11:14 AM

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO@aol.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the misunderstanding, I am just a user
> who is very interested in proper development of 11.04.

As am I `[:))

BUT Ubuntu isn't any better than RedHat at distro upgrades ... the
10.10 upgraded to 11.04 Alpha RC 3 eventually failed with a dead
keyboard and mouse, so I would not advise that path to 11.04 Alpha
RC3. Even no reaction to ctrl-alt-del.

kind regards/ldv