Old 03-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Tapas Mishra

Default service utility with Ubuntu 10.04 does not work properly when used to restart network

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Andreas Moog <amoog+uu@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 03/13/2011 07:21 PM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>
>> root@tapas:~# service networking restart
>> restart: Unknown instance:
> [...]
>> /etc/init.d/networking stop
>> * * Deconfiguring network interfaces... * * * Ignoring unknown
>> interface eth1=eth1.
>
>> It does not work and neither does it start.Is it ia problem with Ubuntu 10.04
>> that service utility does not work properly?
>
> No, it's a problem with your interface configuration.
Ok I checked
/etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

only above lines are there.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:29 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Andreas Moog <amoog+uu@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 03/13/2011 07:21 PM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>>
>>> root@tapas:~# service networking restart
>>> restart: Unknown instance:
>> [...]
>>> /etc/init.d/networking stop
>>> * * Deconfiguring network interfaces... * * * Ignoring unknown
>>> interface eth1=eth1.
>>
>>> It does not work and neither does it start.Is it ia problem with Ubuntu 10.04
>>> that service utility does not work properly?
>>
>> No, it's a problem with your interface configuration.
> Ok I checked
> /etc/network/interfaces
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> only above lines are there.

It appears the Network Manager Gnome does not lets you function properly.
http://osdir.com/ml/ubuntu-users/2009-11/msg03490.html

Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Tom H

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> No, it's a problem with your interface configuration.
>>
>> Ok I checked
>> /etc/network/interfaces
>>
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>>
>> only above lines are there.
>
> It appears the Network Manager Gnome does not lets you function properly.
> http://osdir.com/ml/ubuntu-users/2009-11/msg03490.html

"Properly" doesn't make sense!

When you want to restart smbd, do you restart nfsd and expect smbd to
have been restarted?!

If you're using NM and want to restart the network service, use
"/etc/init/network-manager.conf".

If you're using "/etc/network/interfaces" and want to restart the
network service, use "/etc/init/networking.conf".

Old 03-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ok I checked
>>> /etc/network/interfaces
>>>
>>> auto lo
>>> iface lo inet loopback
>>>
>>> only above lines are there.
>>
>> It appears the Network Manager Gnome does not lets you function properly.
>> http://osdir.com/ml/ubuntu-users/2009-11/msg03490.html
>
> "Properly" doesn't make sense!
>
> When you want to restart smbd, do you restart nfsd and expect smbd to
> have been restarted?!
>
> If you're using NM and want to restart the network service, use
> "/etc/init/network-manager.conf".

I am not very clear with what is active on my system.
On Red Hat based systems I used to do service networking restart and
hence I did the same here also.

> If you're using "/etc/network/interfaces" and want to restart the
> network service, use "/etc/init/networking.conf".

How do I determine which one is in use.

After your message I did

/etc/init.d/network-interface restart

Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service network-interface restart

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the restart(8) utility, e.g. restart
network-interface
start: Unknown parameter: INTERFACE

and then I also tried

service network-interface restart
restart: Unknown parameter: INTERFACE

then following command seems to disconnect
service network-manager restart
and this is found to work.
But service networking restart does not work.
What is the difference between two and is there an
elegant way for this situation to find out what was active rather than
restarting network-*

Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Tom H

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not very clear with what is active on my system.
>
> On Red Hat based systems I used to do service networking restart and
> hence I did the same here also.

No. On an RH box, if NM's managing your interface(s), "service network
restart" (not "service networking restart") doesn't restart the
network.

I'm assuming, of course, that the box is set up properly, meaning that
"chkconfig --list NetworkManager" returns "0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n
5n 6ff" and "chkconfig --list network" returns "0ff 1ff 2ff
3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff"...

>> If you're using "/etc/network/interfaces" and want to restart the
>> network service, use "/etc/init/networking.conf".
>
> How do I determine which one is in use.

status networking
status network-manager
(status is short for "initctl status")
or
service networking status
service network-manager status

Once you determine which one's active (whichever applies):
restart networking/restart network-manager
(restart is short for "initctl restart")
or
service networking restart/service network-manager restart

Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I am not very clear with what is active on my system.
>>
>> On Red Hat based systems I used to do service networking restart and
>> hence I did the same here also.
>
> No. On an RH box, if NM's managing your interface(s), "service network
> restart" (not "service networking restart") doesn't restart the
> network.
>
> I'm assuming, of course, that the box is set up properly, meaning that
> "chkconfig --list NetworkManager" returns "0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n
> 5n 6ff" and "chkconfig --list network" returns "0ff 1ff 2ff
> 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff"...
I checked on my Ubuntu machine

chkconfig --list NetworkManager
NetworkManager: unknown service

>>> If you're using "/etc/network/interfaces" and want to restart the
>>> network service, use "/etc/init/networking.conf".
>>
>> How do I determine which one is in use.
>
> status networking
> status network-manager
> (status is short for "initctl status")
> or
> service networking status
> service network-manager status
>
> Once you determine which one's active (whichever applies):
> restart networking/restart network-manager
> (restart is short for "initctl restart")
> or
> service networking restart/service network-manager restart
Ok what is the difference between the two I mean network-manager and
networking?
In case of networking who is controlling the network and lan card?

Here after this message to understand it further I Googled about
initctl and the stuff you mentioned.
initctl list shows following things running
http://pastebin.com/LrzuzZ7S
I do not see bluetooth any where in above output.
Now I check sysv-rc-conf shows bluetooth and a cross X marked on it
at run level 5.
So I feel that in run level 5 bluetooth is running on my system.

and when I do status bluetooth
then
status: Unknown job: bluetooth

where as if I do

chkconfig --list bluetooth
bluetooth 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff

so this is very surprising as in above output you see 5n where as
status wont recognize it.
I read man page of status (which is nothing but opening initctls man page)

Old 03-14-2011, 04:11 PM
NoOp

On 03/13/2011 11:21 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Here is a situation when I do
> root@tapas:~# service networking restart
> restart: Unknown instance:
> and when I do
> root@tapas:~# service networking stop
> stop: Unknown instance:
>
> now if I do
>
> /etc/init.d/networking stop
> * Deconfiguring network interfaces... Ignoring unknown
> interface eth1=eth1.
> [ OK ]
> note above I did not used service command and it shows working.
>
> and now if I start it in same way I get a warning.
>
> /etc/init.d/networking start
> Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
> utility, e.g. service networking start
>
> Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
> Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. start networking
> networking stop/waiting
> In any case either service command or using /etc/init.d/networking
> with restart does not do any thing.
> It does not work and neither does it start.Is it ia problem with Ubuntu 10.04
> that service utility does not work properly?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysvinit/+bug/440179
[service fails to start/stop/restart networking daemon]

'service' uses the networking script in /etc/init.d (see 'man service').
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/en/man8/service.8.html
But if the script in /etc/init.d isn't working, service won't either.

:/etc/init.d$ cat networking
echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/networking {start|stop|restart|force-reload}"

$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
* Deconfiguring network interfaces...
Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.

[ OK ]

$ ping google.com
PING google.com (74.125.224.50) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 74.125.224.50: icmp_req=1 ttl=55 time=12.2 ms
^C64 bytes from 74.125.224.50: icmp_req=2 ttl=55 time=12.2 ms

$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr <snipped>
inet addr:192.168.4.100 Bcast:192.168.4.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::20c:f1ff:feba:291f/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:20636221 (20.6 MB) TX bytes:495317 (495.3 KB)

Old 03-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> On Red Hat based systems I used to do service networking restart and
>>> hence I did the same here also.
>>
>> No. On an RH box, if NM's managing your interface(s), "service network
>> restart" (not "service networking restart") doesn't restart the
>> network.
>>
>> I'm assuming, of course, that the box is set up properly, meaning that
>> "chkconfig --list NetworkManager" returns "0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n
>> 5n 6ff" and "chkconfig --list network" returns "0ff 1ff 2ff
>> 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff"...
>
> I checked on my Ubuntu machine
>
> chkconfig --list NetworkManager
> NetworkManager: unknown service

Those commands were for an RH box. I've also given you commands for an
Ubuntu box. It's hard to believe that you're not doing this on
purpose...

>>> How do I determine which one is in use.
>>
>> status networking
>> status network-manager
>> (status is short for "initctl status")
>> or
>> service networking status
>> service network-manager status
>>
>> Once you determine which one's active (whichever applies):
>> restart networking/restart network-manager
>> (restart is short for "initctl restart")
>> or
>> service networking restart/service network-manager restart
>
> Ok what is the difference between the two *I mean network-manager and
> networking?
>
> In case of networking who is controlling the network and lan card?

network-manager = Network Manager controls the NIC configuration
networking = /etc/network/interfaces controls the NIC's configuration

> Here after this message to understand it further I Googled about
> initctl and the stuff you mentioned.
> initctl list shows following things running
> http://pastebin.com/LrzuzZ7S
> I do not see bluetooth any where in above output.
> Now I check *sysv-rc-conf shows bluetooth and a cross X marked on it
> at run level 5.
> So I feel that in run level 5 bluetooth is running on my system.
>
> and when I do status bluetooth
> then
> status: Unknown job: bluetooth
>
> where as if I do
>
> chkconfig --list bluetooth
> bluetooth * * * * * * * * 0ff *1ff *2n * 3n * 4n * 5n * 6ff
>
> so this is very surprising as in above output you see 5n where as
> status wont recognize it.

That's because bluetooth is controlled through "/etc/init.d" and not
through "/etc/init".

As long as Ubuntu uses a hybrid startup setup, it's safer to use
"service..." because it applies to both upstart jobs and non-upstart
jobs.