Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Tapas Mishra

Default service utility with Ubuntu 10.04 does not work properly when used to restart network

Here is a situation when I do
root@tapas:~# service networking restart
restart: Unknown instance:
and when I do
root@tapas:~# service networking stop
stop: Unknown instance:

now if I do

/etc/init.d/networking stop
* Deconfiguring network interfaces... Ignoring unknown
interface eth1=eth1.
[ OK ]
note above I did not used service command and it shows working.

and now if I start it in same way I get a warning.

/etc/init.d/networking start
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service networking start

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. start networking
networking stop/waiting
In any case either service command or using /etc/init.d/networking
with restart does not do any thing.
It does not work and neither does it start.Is it ia problem with Ubuntu 10.04
that service utility does not work properly?