Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Jon Anderson

Default Need to change drivers

This is the problem I run" lspci -v" which checks all drivers on my
system and more. It says kernel driver in use: nouveau
then under that it says kernel modules: nvidia
recent,nvidia-96,nouveau,nvidiafb
So what it looks like I have 3-4 drivers for my video card loaded and
one, nouveau, being used. I think they conflict with each other. I'm
trying to add drivers other then nouveau, because the mouse freezes with
nouveau. At this point I can't seem to get rid of nouveau, I go to
terminal and type"sudo apt-get --purge remove
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" and it says that it's not loaded so I can't
dump it. "lspci-v" says nouveau is the driver being used and trying to
dump it it says it isn't installed. ?????????confused. I want to dump
nouveau, what should I do? I also go into Synaptic package manager and
it isn't listed as being installed. All help exepted!

Old 03-12-2011, 11:27 PM
scott

This is the problem I run" lspci -v" which checks all drivers on my
system and more. It says kernel driver in use: nouveau
then under that it says kernel modules: nvidia
recent,nvidia-96,nouveau,nvidiafb
So what it looks like I have 3-4 drivers for my video card loaded and
one, nouveau, being used. I think they conflict with each other. I'm
trying to add drivers other then nouveau, because the mouse freezes
with nouveau. At this point I can't seem to get rid of nouveau, I go
to terminal and type"sudo apt-get --purge remove
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" and it says that it's not loaded so I
can't dump it. "lspci-v" says nouveau is the driver being used and
trying to dump it it says it isn't installed. ?????????confused. I
want to dump nouveau, what should I do? I also go into Synaptic
package manager and it isn't listed as being installed. All help exepted!

sudo modprobe -r nouveau

sudo modprobe <new_driver>

Old 03-13-2011, 02:27 AM
scott

[...]

Drivers are handled in the kernel. Read 'man modprobe' for a better
explanation.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:01 AM
NoOp

On 03/12/2011 01:45 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:
> This is the problem I run" lspci -v" which checks all drivers on my
> system and more. It says kernel driver in use: nouveau
> then under that it says kernel modules: nvidia
> recent,nvidia-96,nouveau,nvidiafb
> So what it looks like I have 3-4 drivers for my video card loaded and
> one, nouveau, being used. I think they conflict with each other. I'm
> trying to add drivers other then nouveau, because the mouse freezes with
> nouveau. At this point I can't seem to get rid of nouveau, I go to
> terminal and type"sudo apt-get --purge remove
> xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" and it says that it's not loaded so I can't
> dump it. "lspci-v" says nouveau is the driver being used and trying to
> dump it it says it isn't installed. ?????????confused. I want to dump
> nouveau, what should I do? I also go into Synaptic package manager and
> it isn't listed as being installed. All help exepted!

It will be more helpful if you tell us what version of Ubuntu and what
video card you are using.

System|Administration|Additional Drivers
Turn on the nvidia-96 driver & leave the kernel modules alone unless you
know what you are doing.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25GL [Quadro4
900 XGL] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: nVidia Corporation Device 0138
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 16
Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Memory at f4780000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=512K]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at fe9e0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nvidia-96, nouveau, nvidiafb, rivafb