Old 03-12-2011, 11:44 AM
william drescher

Default 10.04 LTS file sharing

I currently administer a network with windows clients and a
unix/samba file server/web server. I have convinced the powers
that be to allow me to convert it to a network with a mixture of
linux and windows clients (because some users have legacy windoze
applications that, at this point, I do not want to consider
running under a windoze emulator) and a Ubuntu file server/web
server.

Should I stay with Samba for the linux clients or what ?

bill

Old 03-13-2011, 02:58 AM
Tom Sparks

--- On Sat, 12/3/11, william drescher <william@TechServSys.com> wrote:

> I currently administer a network with
> windows clients and a unix/samba file server/web
> server.* I have convinced the powers that be to allow
> me to convert it to a network with a mixture of linux and
> windows clients (because some users have legacy windoze
> applications that, at this point, I do not want to consider
> running under a windoze emulator) and a Ubuntu file
> server/web server.
>
> Should I stay with Samba for the linux clients or what ?

samba is your best option if you want to keep the file on one computer
but if your need Revision control samba is a no-gooer

Can you tell me more about what files your are going to share?

tom

Old 03-13-2011, 05:20 PM
william drescher

windows clients and a unix/samba file server/web
server. I have convinced the powers that be to allow
me to convert it to a network with a mixture of linux and
windows clients (because some users have legacy windoze
applications that, at this point, I do not want to consider
running under a windoze emulator) and a Ubuntu file
server/web server.

Should I stay with Samba for the linux clients or what ?

samba is your best option if you want to keep the file on one computer
but if your need Revision control samba is a no-gooer

Can you tell me more about what files your are going to share?

tom

We keep a central file of letters sent and letter templates. No
revision control needed. AFAIK, all word processing. Everything
else is served by the web server.

bill

Old 03-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Tom Sparks

--- On Mon, 14/3/11, william drescher <william@TechServSys.com> wrote:
> On 3/12/2011 10:58 PM, Tom Sparks
> wrote:
> > --- On Sat, 12/3/11, william drescher<william@TechServSys.com>*
> wrote:
> >
> >> I currently administer a network with
> >> windows clients and a unix/samba file server/web
> >> server.* I have convinced the powers that be
> to allow
> >> me to convert it to a network with a mixture of
> linux and
> >> windows clients (because some users have legacy
> windoze
> >> applications that, at this point, I do not want to
> consider
> >> running under a windoze emulator) and a Ubuntu
> file
> >> server/web server.
> >>
> >> Should I stay with Samba for the linux clients or
> what ?
> >
> > samba is your best option if you want to keep the file
> on one computer
> > but if your need Revision control samba is a no-gooer
> >
> > Can you tell me more about what files your are going
> to share?
> >

> > tom
>
> We keep a central file of letters sent and letter
> templates.* No
> revision control needed.* AFAIK, all word
> processing.* Everything
> else is served by the web server.
samba still looks like your best option

tom