Old 03-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Tom Sparks

Default WinCE 5.0 to ubuntu (CPU ARM)

I have just looked at a netbook with Windows CE 5.0 arm version
What are my options to see if ubuntu well boot on this system?

tom_a_sparks
"It's a nerdy thing I like to do"

Old 03-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Yorvyk

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 02:37:42 -0800 (PST)
Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> I have just looked at a netbook with Windows CE 5.0 arm version
> What are my options to see if ubuntu well boot on this system?
>

> tom_a_sparks
> "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"

Reverse engineer it

I've looked at a couple of these, as they had quite good hardware specs but, I can't find anything, anywhere on the net about anybody running Linux on one. If somebody does manage to do it, and I should imagine there are people trying (the sort that has Linux running on their toaster ), there will be a big fanfare.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net

Old 03-12-2011, 06:52 PM
David Curtis

I have just looked at a netbook with Windows CE 5.0 arm version
What are my options to see if ubuntu well boot on this system?

*
It seems there are ports of 10.10 UNE for Marvel Dove, TI OMAP3, TI OMAP4 SOCs. Find out what hardware the*netbook you are looking at has, and that it can boot from USB/SD card.* I've never owned one of these, but it seems possible, might be some graphics issues though.

*http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-netbook/ports/releases/10.10/release/

Old 03-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Tom Sparks

--- On Sun, 13/3/11, Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 02:37:42 -0800
> (PST)
> Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks@yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> > I have just looked at a netbook with Windows CE 5.0
> arm version
> > What are my options to see if ubuntu well boot on this
> system?
> >

> > tom_a_sparks
> > "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"
> >
> Reverse engineer it
>
> I've looked at a couple of these, as they had quite good
> hardware specs but, I can't find anything, anywhere on the
> net about anybody running Linux on one.* If somebody
> does manage to do it, and I should imagine there are people
> trying (the sort that has Linux running on their toaster
> ), there will be a big fanfare.

I think it had a arm 7 processor (winCE control panel is useless for getting the hardware specs)

tom_a_sparks
"It's a nerdy thing I like to do"