Old 03-12-2011, 07:54 AM
"Goh Lip"

Default GRUB 2 vs. framebuffer

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:27:48 +0800, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net>
wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently testing Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS on a sandbox machine, an
old NEC Powermate with an NVidia GeForce 4000 video card.

After the first reboot, the display is reduced to the upper left third
of the screen or so. The last time I've been using this machine, there
was a test install of Arch Linux on it, which had the same problem. Arch
defaults to the "old" GRUB (v. 0.97 IIRC), and I remember having solved
the problem by adding 'nomodeset vga=788' as parameters to the 'kernel'
line. Now I wonder how I can possibly achieve something similar with
GRUB 2.

I read through the docs and so far, managed to have a partial success. I
added the following parameter: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset" and ran
update-grub. Now I already have a "full screen" display, but only in the
classical 80x25 console style.

I wonder now how I could possible have the equivalent of 'vga=788'
output that uses the full screen, not only the upper left corner.

Any suggestions for that?

Niki

Niki, I do not have this problem, but this might help...
http://harrison3001.blogspot.com/2009/09/grub-2-graphical-boot-tips-to-set.html

I thought adding "gfxpayload=true" might be better, but I am not really
sure, why don't you try out both and let us know what works 'better',
(maybe either might work equally well).

Regards - Goh Lip

--
I used to have an open mind,
but my brains kept falling out.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:06 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

[...]

It may be completely wrong but I often have this problem when starting
ubuntu and can solve it by resynchronizing the monitor (using the button
auto on the monitor).

Just my 0,02 €
Joep

Old 03-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Tom H

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 3:27 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:

> I'm currently testing Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS on a sandbox machine, an old
> NEC Powermate with an NVidia GeForce 4000 video card.
>
> After the first reboot, the display is reduced to the upper left third of
> the screen or so. The last time I've been using this machine, there was a
> test install of Arch Linux on it, which had the same problem. Arch defaults
> to the "old" GRUB (v. 0.97 IIRC), and I remember having solved the problem
> by adding 'nomodeset vga=788' as parameters to the 'kernel' line. Now I
> wonder how I can possibly achieve something similar with GRUB 2.
>
> I read through the docs and so far, managed to have a partial success. I
> added the following parameter: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset" and ran
> update-grub. Now I already have a "full screen" display, but only in the
> classical 80x25 console style.
>
> I wonder now how I could possible have the equivalent of 'vga=788' output
> that uses the full screen, not only the upper left corner.

788=800x600 so set
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=800x600
GRUB_TERMINAL=gfxterm
in "/etc/default/grub" and run "update-grub".

Old 03-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Niki Kovacs