Old 03-23-2011, 06:04 AM
Christopher Lemire

Default New linux wiki up

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
> Le 22/03/2011 21:33, Patton Echols a écrit :
>>
>> On 03/22/2011 01:18 PM, Patton Echols wrote:
>>>

>>> (BTW, I bookmarked the page. Hope it's successful.)
>>
>> Actually, having just now scanned the content, I'm not so sure about
>> that last statement. 'Course it is a site called "Black Hats" What
>> should be expected?
>>

> "L'enfer est pavé de bonnes intentions", goes a french saying, meaning
> something like: hell is paved with good intentions. The "new Linux wiki"
> seems to yell out something like: hey, folks, here's a funny book for you to
> read... well, actually, it's more a pile of white sheets of paper, but hey,
> you can write a funny story on it, if you like, so others can enjoy it!
>
> Not my idea of fun.

I could post some info + screenshots and if anybody wants to know how
it's done, say so, and I'll write a guide on the wiki such as how I
got windows 7 sticky notes in Linux (almost looks identical)

--
Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@gmail.com>
Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

Gnu Privacy Guard Key Fingerprint = 3E1A 9103 EF3D 4885 6866* E9DE
C69F 18B3 E13B 0909

Web: http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com
Jabber: recursivequicksort@jabber.org

Old 03-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Chris Jones

> Ok, so I forgot to bottom post one time by mistake. I'll have to get
> mutt going with gmail again soon, so it does all that auto-magically.
> I was just letting the ubuntu community know there's a helpful free
> support channel and new wiki up. If you have anything that's not
> negative to say, go ahead and reply.

Just bottom posting without trimming is almost as bad

Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Christopher Lemire

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Amedee Van Gasse
<amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:
> On Tue, March 22, 2011 13:09, Christopher Lemire wrote:
>
>> Ok, so I forgot to bottom post one time by mistake. I'll have to get
>> mutt going with gmail again soon, so it does all that auto-magically.
>> I was just letting the ubuntu community know there's a helpful free
>> support channel and new wiki up. If you have anything that's not
>> negative to say, go ahead and reply.
>
> Chicken and egg problem in online communities: you won't get any new users
> (and possible contributors) if you don't have any interesting content
> already; and you won't get any interesting content if you don't have a
> large enough user (and contributor) base.
>
> How do you solve this? Possible solutions are:
> * seed your wiki with interesting content
> * open in private beta before going public
> * give incentives to active contributors

I have done that a bit. There's a 14 year old new to Linux. He's very
enthusiastic about learning. I teach him things in the the our irc
channel. He uses tomboy notes. I had him put his tomboy notes on the
wiki. They aren't perfect because his native language is Italian, but
his English is good enough that it makes sense even if it's not
exactly correct. I've gone and made a few modifications to what he
wrote, so that it is more clear for others who read it.

What other intensives can I give people besides money? The channel is
full of people very knowledgeable in some different aspect of computer
technology, but only one besides me has really wrote much on it. I
have tried a forum, a wiki, and a blog. The blog works best. I can
tell people are reading it because many have subscribed and it's
accessed a lot, but getting people to contribute back to a wiki or
forum hasn't been easy for me.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 07:09 -0500, Christopher Lemire wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 11:25 -0600, Christopher Lemire wrote:
> > > Oh, you were the one downloading Evoken from my public_html, eh? Yeah,
> > > of course, the blog is getting more content. It's only been there for
> > > one day. How's it going to get more content without some Linux
> > > community?
> > >
> > > On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 4:05 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net>
> > > wrote:
> > > The wiki ("Black Hats" ?!?) is empty, and the blog looks like
> > > a porn headbanger's heavy metal nightmare.
> >
> > If you want to create a legitimate Linux Wiki, I would suggest you don't
> > top-post to a Linux Forum. Jus a thought, Ric

> Ok, so I forgot to bottom post one time by mistake. I'll have to get
> mutt going with gmail again soon, so it does all that auto-magically.
> I was just letting the ubuntu community know there's a helpful free
> support channel and new wiki up. If you have anything that's not
> negative to say, go ahead and reply.

Instead of chiding me for being "negative" and taking it personal, you
just could have replied "Thanks for pointing that out. I got all excited
to tell my news and hit send before I thought about it." ...which is
probably closer to the truth. Then there is a positive spin, that you
know how sacred it is to bottom post in most Linux forums and just made
a mistake. That's all I was pointing out, so you would be successful in
your endeavor. PR does count for a lot. Good luck! Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 3/23/2011 3:54 AM, Ric Moore wrote:
> Instead of chiding me for being "negative" and taking it personal, you
> just could have replied "Thanks for pointing that out. I got all excited
> to tell my news and hit send before I thought about it." ...which is
> probably closer to the truth. Then there is a positive spin, that you
> know how sacred it is to bottom post in most Linux forums and just made
> a mistake. That's all I was pointing out, so you would be successful in
> your endeavor. PR does count for a lot. Good luck! Ric

Top-posting is almost annoying as them guys who add their name to every
post as if their name isn't already on the message, or the guys who put
dumb signatures (no this one isn't about you, yours is alright IMO, this
is more about the Windows one that is an ironic twist on his own
ignorance) that mean nothing important at all.

I wouldn't have ever recokned the message came from a guy named Ric,
because the from line didn't say that, but no worries, it was
irrelevantly iterated in his message.

There are other things, like Linux users who have no respect for the
competition and say "Windoze" and other twists of their own stupidity
making us all look like we are dumb and have no respect or the people
who consitantly attack Windows and praise OS X (because it's Unix) not
knowing that OS X has had more critical vulnerabilities than Windows in
the last couple of years. I mean I'm no Windows fan and I only use it
when I'm on a hybrid network that requires me to consult on Windows ~
like right now ~ but there are lots of annoying quirks about mailing
lists that everybody does. Like my ranting.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 06:11:03 -0500
Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:

Would you like to know what annoys me?

Firstly, arrogant jerk know-it-alls who then reveal themselves to be
somewhat less when they post:

> Top-posting is almost annoying as them guys who add their name to

...almost /AS/ annoying...

/those/ guys who add their name/s/

> every post as if their name isn't already on the message, or the guys

their /names/ (hint: "their," is plural) (that's two...)

> who put dumb signatures (no this one isn't about you, yours is
> alright IMO, this is more about the Windows one that is an ironic
> twist on his own ignorance) that mean nothing important at all.

"...guys who put... ...about the...one..."
Tenses really shouldn't be so mixed. Singular and plural don't usually
work well together.

> I wouldn't have ever recokned the message came from a guy named Ric,

"...recokned...?" You really /don't/ use a spiel choker, do you?

> because the from line didn't say that, but no worries, it was
> irrelevantly iterated in his message.
>
> There are other things, like Linux users who have no respect for the

What things are like Linux users? I think you meant to say, "such as,"
instead of, "like."

> competition and say "Windoze" and other twists of their own stupidity

I am annoyed by anyone who /does/ respect 'the competition.'

> making us all look like we are dumb and have no respect or the people

...if it's that easy to make you feel /as if/ you are dumb... (which,
BTW, doesn't usually, contrary to popular belief, mean, "stupid")

> who consitantly attack Windows and praise OS X (because it's Unix) not

consi/S/tantly. What, /still/ no spiel choker? /THAT'S/ annoying.

> knowing that OS X has had more critical vulnerabilities than Windows
> in the last couple of years. I mean I'm no Windows fan and I only
^

Oh my, comma usage is dying! There will soon be an over-abundance of
un-used commas in warehouses everywhere. Help the cause; use commas
correctly, but /use/ them!

> use it when I'm on a hybrid network that requires me to consult on
> Windows ~ like right now ~ but there are lots of annoying quirks
> about mailing lists that everybody does.

The network requires you to do something? Interesting. I thought
networks were inanimate things and that it was the /clients/ who did
the requiring.

.../such as/ right now... "like," indicates comparative similarity.

Everybody does quirks? I feel left out! How does one /do/ a quirk?

> Like my ranting.

Not particularly, no. (/such as/ my...)

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Respect? yeah, sure:
"Five minutes after any agreement is signed with Microsoft,

Old 03-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 3/23/2011 8:13 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 06:11:03 -0500
> Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
>
> Would you like to know what annoys me?

I see what you did there, you went on the defense because you're one of
those undying morons who has no respect for the competition or for
anything so you have to find a way to bash it because you have no idea
what it is really. How about instead of being an idiot and bashing
Windows you actually, truly, take those problems in Windows and make
sure they're fixed in Linux.

-

"If, "move," is grayed out then, "lock to panel," is enabled. (bottom
selection, just under, "move." Un-enable it, then you can move the
applet." -- Cybe R. Wizard.
Title: Comma-Candy by Cybe R. Wizard.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2011-March/241526.html

Need I say more about you having the right /and/ or skill to explain to
people how to properly utilise the English language?

-

I do also, to add, find it funny that you the one who just sounded
pretentious would come out and throw the stone at somebody else calling
them arrogant. Your entire email shows this same evidence against you
and the evidence above correlates it.

I think somebodies a little bit cranky, might a suggest a nap?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 09:55:14 -0500
Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:

> On 3/23/2011 8:13 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 06:11:03 -0500
> > Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
> >
> > Would you like to know what annoys me?
>
> I see what you did there, you went on the defense because you're one

I think you meant, "defensive." Nah, I'm just annoyed by your annoyance
with standard usage of signature blocks and your apparent distaste for
Linux. One would think that a, "Linux Systems Engineer and
Administrator; Debian and Ubuntu contributor," would have some more
respect for that which he supposedly administrates and to which he
contributes.

> of those undying morons who has no respect for the competition or for
> anything so you have to find a way to bash it because you have no idea
> what it is really. How about instead of being an idiot and bashing
> Windows you actually, truly, take those problems in Windows and make
> sure they're fixed in Linux.

Ooo, name calling! That's for sure really mature and right in keeping
with the Ubuntu Code Of Conduct which, may I note, you /have/
signed. /Good/ little Ubuntuer, you, eh?

Really, though, it figures.

How do you justify that immaturity (name calling) to others whom you
claim as equals? I imagine they just shake their collective heads.

BTW, what problems in Winduhs need fixing /in Linux/? I have no idea
what they may be as I do not use Winduhs.

> "If, "move," is grayed out then, "lock to panel," is enabled. (bottom
> selection, just under, "move." Un-enable it, then you can move the
> applet." -- Cybe R. Wizard.
> Title: Comma-Candy by Cybe R. Wizard.
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2011-March/241526.html
>
> Need I say more about you having the right /and/ or skill to explain
> to people how to properly utilise the English language?

Although I like your made-up title, "Comma-Candy," it is nevertheless
correct comma usage you'll find in that quoted post of mine.

You may also have noticed that my illiterate 'advice' solved the
problem for the OP.

If you prefer I will use, "disable," in the future although the
connotation is that of, "handicap," instead of, "turn off."
...but I'd never expect for you to have noticed anything so subtle as
that.

BTW, Where have I claimed any right to do anything? 'Not nowhere,
not nohow, not ever.' I merely list things (and people) which (who)
annoy me, much as you did (please do take that both ways). Have you
more right to do so than I? I don't think so.

Yes, please /do/ say more, because, if you look closely, I /do/ have
that skill. It certainly hasn't been dis-proven, especially by your name
calling. You /could/ try doing an English-usage evaluation of my posts
to see if your claim can hold up. I doubt your ability to do so,
though. I further doubt your will to do so.

> I do also, to add, find it funny that you the one who just sounded
> pretentious would come out and throw the stone at somebody else
> calling them arrogant. Your entire email shows this same evidence
> against you and the evidence above correlates it.
>
> I think somebodies a little bit cranky, might a suggest a nap?

"I do also, to add, find it funny that you the one..."

Er, can you put that into English?

BTW, "somebody's." It is a contraction of, "somebody," and, "is."

Also, you may have noticed, Valentine's Day is so over.

Cybe R. Wizard -sheesh, kids these days...
--
"Windows is yucky. It keeps breaking"
Edward Bordas Age 5

Old 03-29-2011, 05:17 AM
Christopher Lemire

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> [...]

that skill. It certainly hasn't been dis-proven, especially by your name

calling. You /could/ try doing an English-usage evaluation of my posts

to see if your claim can hold up. *I doubt your ability to do so,

though. *I further doubt your will to do so.

> I do also, to add, find it funny that you the one who just sounded

> pretentious would come out and throw the stone at somebody else

> calling them arrogant. *Your entire email shows this same evidence

> against you and the evidence above correlates it.

> I think somebodies a little bit cranky, might a suggest a nap?

"I do also, to add, find it funny that you the one..."

Er, can you put that into English?

BTW, "somebody's." *It is a contraction of, "somebody," and, "is."

Also, you may have noticed, Valentine's Day is so over.

Cybe R. Wizard -sheesh, kids these days...

I see that "ANOTHER LINUX BLOG" is a bad thing. So I should make it how to redress your windows 7. Seriously, join the channel and contribute. You can't be some expert on blackhat topics without having an understanding of how computers work. A good one for you is the ANSI C language. You fucking heard me? Peace out bitches