Old 03-12-2011, 04:41 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default ~/.gvfs is annoying for sysadmins

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 8:56 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 03/11/2011 06:26 PM, travis+ml-ubuntu-users@subspacefield.org wrote:
>> I can't even stat the directory (actually a mount point) as root.
>
> Not sure I understand, but you should be able to sftp to it and mount. I
> grsync to ~/.gvfs on my other machine occasionally & that works fine. Or
> have I misunderstood?
I think he is referring to following type of warnings

WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/user/.gvfs
Output information may be incomplete.

which you get when some process tries to read .gvfs as root

It's a virtual filesystem, used by gnome. It doesn't implement
everything stat() wants to get so it returns an error. Here is a quote
from Fedora mailing list about a similar problem:

The issue is that when the user is logged in, fuse creates a memory
resident filesystem interpreted by the user process.

This user process doesn't implement anything but owner. All else is
refused. Root can't access it because it isn't the owner, and can't
override that because the fuse filesystem doesn't implement/support
the override.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:46 AM
Tim H

On 03/11/2011 09:26 PM, travis+ml-ubuntu-users@subspacefield.org wrote:

I can't even stat the directory (actually a mount point) as root.

Trying to ls people's home directories (as root) gives an error.

rsync as root bitches because the directory isn't stat-able, and due
to that error, refuses to do other things, like delete files from the
target.

Odd that a normal user can see it, but root can't.

I can't lsattr it, either. Even as the user who owns it - I get a
"inappropriate ioctl for device"

How am I supposed to do remote backups if I can't talk to the file
system without errors?

And how am I to figure out where all the mountpoints for these things
might be? Do my backup scripts have to parse /etc/passwd and extract
everyone's home directory, and then build an exclude list dynamically?

I guess I could avoid crossing file system boundaries, but that's
whitelisting, and it works great until you add a new file system one
day and forget to add it to your backup whitelist.

Agreed. I haven't really looked into it however, but I would like to do
away with it completely. It even comes pre-installed on Xubuntu, which
uses Gnome sparingly.

Tim H.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Tom H

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 1:46 AM, Tim H <bizdev@pwnspeak.com> wrote:
> On 03/11/2011 09:26 PM, travis+ml-ubuntu-users@subspacefield.org wrote:
>>
>> I can't even stat the directory (actually a mount point) as root.
>>
>> Trying to ls people's home directories (as root) gives an error.
>>
>> rsync as root bitches because the directory isn't stat-able, and due
>> to that error, refuses to do other things, like delete files from the
>> target.
>>
>> Odd that a normal user can see it, but root can't.
>>
>> I can't lsattr it, either. *Even as the user who owns it - I get a
>> "inappropriate ioctl for device"
>>
>> How am I supposed to do remote backups if I can't talk to the file
>> system without errors?
>>
>> And how am I to figure out where all the mountpoints for these things
>> might be? *Do my backup scripts have to parse /etc/passwd and extract
>> everyone's home directory, and then build an exclude list dynamically?
>>
>> I guess I could avoid crossing file system boundaries, but that's
>> whitelisting, and it works great until you add a new file system one
>> day and forget to add it to your backup whitelist.
>
> Agreed. *I haven't really looked into it however, but I would like to do
> away with it completely. *It even comes pre-installed on Xubuntu, which uses
> Gnome sparingly.

I agree with you that it's weird that it's inaccessible to root - and annoying.

Given the GNOME developers' recent response/attitude in the
laptop-lid-closing story, I'm sure that they'll be very open to the
idea turning gvfs into an optional component...

Why don't you blacklist "~/.gvfs/" in your backup routines since it's
just a mount point and you're presumably backing up whatever share(s)
is(are) being mounted there?

Old 03-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why don't you blacklist "~/.gvfs/" in your backup routines since it's
> just a mount point and you're presumably backing up whatever share(s)
> is(are) being mounted there?

How can this be done?

Old 03-13-2011, 02:18 AM
Tim Henderson

On 03/12/2011 07:15 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Tom H<tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

Why don't you blacklist "~/.gvfs/" in your backup routines since it's
just a mount point and you're presumably backing up whatever share(s)
is(are) being mounted there?

Of course I have it blacklisted

How can this be done?

It really depends on your backup routine, as Tom puts it.

rsync you could use --exclude=.gvfs or include it in your --exclude-file.

For others (tar cp ect) read up in the man files on how to exclude files
according to regex or filename.

Tim H.