Old 03-12-2011, 01:26 AM

Default ~/.gvfs is annoying for sysadmins

I can't even stat the directory (actually a mount point) as root.

Trying to ls people's home directories (as root) gives an error.

rsync as root bitches because the directory isn't stat-able, and due
to that error, refuses to do other things, like delete files from the
target.

Odd that a normal user can see it, but root can't.

I can't lsattr it, either. Even as the user who owns it - I get a
"inappropriate ioctl for device"

How am I supposed to do remote backups if I can't talk to the file
system without errors?

And how am I to figure out where all the mountpoints for these things
might be? Do my backup scripts have to parse /etc/passwd and extract
everyone's home directory, and then build an exclude list dynamically?

I guess I could avoid crossing file system boundaries, but that's
whitelisting, and it works great until you add a new file system one
day and forget to add it to your backup whitelist.
--
I'm not sleeping; I'm regenerating. | http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
My emails do not usually have attachments; it's a digital signature

Old 03-12-2011, 02:26 AM
NoOp

On 03/11/2011 06:26 PM, travis+ml-ubuntu-users@subspacefield.org wrote:
> I can't even stat the directory (actually a mount point) as root.

Not sure I understand, but you should be able to sftp to it and mount. I
grsync to ~/.gvfs on my other machine occasionally & that works fine. Or
have I misunderstood?