Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 AM
elmo

Default Cloner source and destination addresses

I'm having difficulty getting a cloner to work in ubuntu. I want to
clone my ubuntu 7.10 onto an external hard drive partition.

I have ' UNSTOPCP ' installed in Windows and it works fine----just
type in the source and destination partition names, ie., C: and H:
(H: is a NTFS partition on an external hard drive). The cloning
starts and continues to completion.

The Linux version, ' UNSTOPCP.GZ ' in UBUNTU provides a similar space
for entering the source and destination addresses but there is no
explanation of the form of addresses that should be used.

My ubuntu is in /dev/sda2 and I want to clone it to an external hard
drive ext3 partition in /dev/sdb3 so I tried using these as the source
and destination respectively............ The cloning action starts but
stops immediately.

I imagine that another cloner (clonemaxx) that is available for ubuntu
calls for a source and destination as any cloner would.
What form of address for source and destination does clonemaxx call
for? Suppose that the source partition is /dev/sda2 and destination is
/dev/sdb3. Would they be entered in this form in clonemaxx?

elmo

Old 02-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Gerald Dachs

> The Linux version, ' UNSTOPCP.GZ ' in UBUNTU provides a similar space
> for entering the source and destination addresses but there is no
> explanation of the form of addresses that should be used.
>
> My ubuntu is in /dev/sda2 and I want to clone it to an external hard
> drive ext3 partition in /dev/sdb3 so I tried using these as the source
> and destination respectively............ The cloning action starts but
> stops immediately.

What does UNSTOPCP that dd can't do?

Gerald

Old 02-09-2008, 01:48 AM
elmo

Gerald Dachs wrote:
>> The Linux version, ' UNSTOPCP.GZ ' in UBUNTU provides a similar space
>> for entering the source and destination addresses but there is no
>> explanation of the form of addresses that should be used.
>>
>> My ubuntu is in /dev/sda2 and I want to clone it to an external hard
>> drive ext3 partition in /dev/sdb3 so I tried using these as the source
>> and destination respectively............ The cloning action starts but
>> stops immediately.
>>

> What does UNSTOPCP that dd can't do?
>
> Gerald

I don't know except supposedly being easier to use. I've used the
Windows version in
Windows and all that had to be done was enter the name of the source
partition, for example, 'C:'
and the name of the destination partition, 'F:' and it would clone
everything from the C: partition
to the desired destination partition 'F:'

For Linux, there's 'unstopcp.gz which is supposed to work the same way.
But, the source and
destinations are entered in a different way from the Windows version.
NOT A CLUE as to the
form to use.