Old 03-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Patton Echols

Default Edit PDF in OO-Draw

I have a PDF that is intended to be printed out, blanks filled in and
mailed in. I would like to modify the document to add fillable fields.
With a new odf document in Writer, I am able to do this. But the PDF
will not open in Writer and can only be opened in Draw. I do not see a
way of inserting fillable fields in Draw. Google gives me lots of pages
that tell about inserting text boxes, text over graphics, text frames,
etc. Not fillable fields. Does that facility exist in draw? If so,
can anyone tell me how to access it?

Thanks
--PE

Old 03-12-2011, 02:18 AM
NoOp

On 03/11/2011 09:39 AM, Patton Echols wrote:
> I have a PDF that is intended to be printed out, blanks filled in and
> mailed in. I would like to modify the document to add fillable fields.
> With a new odf document in Writer, I am able to do this. But the PDF
> will not open in Writer and can only be opened in Draw. I do not see a
> way of inserting fillable fields in Draw. Google gives me lots of pages
> that tell about inserting text boxes, text over graphics, text frames,
> etc. Not fillable fields. Does that facility exist in draw? If so,
> can anyone tell me how to access it?
>
> Thanks
> --PE

Unfortunately you won't be able to edit/modify to add form information
in Draw. You can try a copy/paste to Writer to create a new document &
then edit/modify that way.

Gary

Old 03-12-2011, 07:18 AM
John D Lamb

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 09:39 -0800, Patton Echols wrote:
> I have a PDF that is intended to be printed out, blanks filled in and
> mailed in. I would like to modify the document to add fillable fields.
> With a new odf document in Writer, I am able to do this.

There are several things you could try.

1. You could use pdf2ps followed by ps2eps to convert the pdf file to an
eps file readable by Writer. This will work but the quality may not be
good.

2. You could use gimp to convert the pdf file to a png image, which
Writer can read. You’ll need a resolution of at least 300 pixels/inch
(600 is better). Insert the png file in Writer, set its wrap to in
background and set to original size. Main drawback of this method is the
size of the file.

3. You could just read the original PDF in Draw and add form controls
over the top. I don’t know if this works for your purpose.

4. You could recreate the whole document the way you want it in Writer.
This may be the quickest way.

--
JDL

Old 03-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Tony Pursell

On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 08:18 +0000, John D Lamb wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 09:39 -0800, Patton Echols wrote:
> > I have a PDF that is intended to be printed out, blanks filled in and
> > mailed in. I would like to modify the document to add fillable fields.
> > With a new odf document in Writer, I am able to do this.
>
> There are several things you could try.
>
> 1. You could use pdf2ps followed by ps2eps to convert the pdf file to an
> eps file readable by Writer. This will work but the quality may not be
> good.
>
> 2. You could use gimp to convert the pdf file to a png image, which
> Writer can read. You’ll need a resolution of at least 300 pixels/inch
> (600 is better). Insert the png file in Writer, set its wrap to in
> background and set to original size. Main drawback of this method is the
> size of the file.
>
> 3. You could just read the original PDF in Draw and add form controls
> over the top. I don’t know if this works for your purpose.
>
> 4. You could recreate the whole document the way you want it in Writer.
> This may be the quickest way.
>
> --
> JDL

In Ubuntu Software Center, I found OCRFeed. It will import a PDF and
export to ODF. Like any OCR, it is not 100% accurate, but you can tidy
up and reformat before you export. Also there is an 'unpaper' function
in Tools which seems to help.

I suggest you give it a go.

Tony

Old 03-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Doug

[...]

You may be the person who knows how to convert pdf to dxf. I don't
have hundreds of $ to spend to do it! (And I only need to do it a few
times.) Or anybody else out there. . . .
--doug

Old 03-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Patton Echols

I have a PDF that is intended to be printed out, blanks filled in and
mailed in. I would like to modify the document to add fillable fields.

[snip]

You may be the person who knows how to convert pdf to dxf. I don't
have hundreds of $ to spend to do it! (And I only need to do it a few
times.) Or anybody else out there. . . .

Autocad format, right? A little over the top for my purposes.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Doug

I have a PDF that is intended to be printed out, blanks filled in and
mailed in. I would like to modify the document to add fillable
fields.

[snip]

You may be the person who knows how to convert pdf to dxf. I don't
have hundreds of $ to spend to do it! (And I only need to do it a few
times.) Or anybody else out there. . . .

Autocad format, right? A little over the top for my purposes.

Also QCad format--free for Linux, and appears to be AutoCAD compatible
for commands, at least to some extent. I don't know what extent yet.
(QCad does _not_ seem to know dwg files, however.)

--doug

Old 03-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Patton Echols

I have a PDF that is intended to be printed out, blanks filled in and
mailed in. I would like to modify the document to add fillable fields.
With a new odf document in Writer, I am able to do this.

There are several things you could try.

1. You could use pdf2ps followed by ps2eps to convert the pdf file to an
eps file readable by Writer. This will work but the quality may not be
good.

Thanks for the idea. For those following along: Using these tools with
default settings results in an EPS file -- basically an image -- that
stacks a multi page pdf all into one page. Bummer. Also it can be done
in one step by pdftops ( "to" not "2") with the following:

$ pdftops -f 1 -l 1 -eps infile.pdf outfile.eps

I'm not sure the effort helps since it ends up opening in Draw (even if
I start in Writer). Since writer can do that with the PDF, I'm not sure
what I gain.

2. You could use gimp to convert the pdf file to a png image, which
Writer can read. You’ll need a resolution of at least 300 pixels/inch
(600 is better). Insert the png file in Writer, set its wrap to in
background and set to original size. Main drawback of this method is the
size of the file.

I considered this if I needed to keep the exact image of the file. Like
if the form had pictures, unique fonts, etc. I think that would be a
great idea.

3. You could just read the original PDF in Draw and add form controls
over the top. I don’t know if this works for your purpose.

Right, the original question was how to do that. I cannot figure out
how to put in a text input box

4. You could recreate the whole document the way you want it in Writer.
This may be the quickest way.

That is what I resorted to. I used evince to open the document and
select the text, copied and pasted into Writer and went from there.

Thanks for all who chimed in.