Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 PM
"Mike Ryan"

Default New to Ubuntu...

Hi all:

I'm a blind computer user who has recently taken a re_interest in
Linux and have just downloaded Ubuntu 7.10. I'm trying to run the
newly created CD on a Compaq Persario Laptop. Everything runs fine
except for when I choose the screan reader option to run Orca. When I
select it and press enter, nothing is heard. Could it be quite
possible that my Audio is not supported? It is the Connecsant AMC
Audio and the graphics is ATI mobility Xpress 200. Not my own laptop
of course, mine is currently being serviced.
Hope someone can help and TNX.

Michael

Old 02-08-2008, 06:43 AM
"Benjamin Kircher"

I'm a blind computer user who has recently taken a re_interest in
Linux and have just downloaded Ubuntu 7.10. I'm trying to run the
newly created CD on a Compaq Persario Laptop. Everything runs fine

except for when I choose the screan reader option to run Orca. *When I
select it and press enter, nothing is heard. Could it be quite
possible that my Audio is not supported? It is the Connecsant AMC
Audio and the graphics is ATI mobility Xpress 200. Not my own laptop

of course, mine is currently being serviced.
Hope someone can help and TNX.

Michael

Hi Michael,

welcome. Did the sound work on the live system, e.g. before you installed the system on the hard disk (did you already installed it on the hard disk)? Have you tried to run another sound application, e.g. playing some music file? And did you use the 32bit (Intelx86) or the 64bit (AMD64) version of the live cd?

I've searched a little bit for the Conexant AMC audio AC'97 controller at Google/in the forums, but found nothing really helpful. Anyone?

Can you post the output of the following command, when you type it into a terminal (it lists all PCI devices related to audio)?

lspci | grep -i audio

Hopefully your own laptop is a bit more hassle free

Benjamin

Old 02-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Dan Farrell

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 08:43:05 +0100
"Benjamin Kircher" <benjamin.kircher@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've searched a little bit for the Conexant AMC audio AC'97
> controller at Google/in the forums, but found nothing really helpful.
> Anyone?

1) Check output of 'lspci' (if available on ubuntu) to see what the
chipset is. I think 'conexant' are really realteks but am not sure.

2) chances are the sound card is supported. I haven't heard of one
that wasn't in a long time. You may need to use 'lspci' to find out
what the hardware is.