Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   opening a password protected pdf (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/499840-opening-password-protected-pdf.html)

NoOp 03-10-2011 10:15 PM

opening a password protected pdf
 
On 03/10/2011 02:02 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 03/10/2011 12:08 PM, Patton Echols wrote:
>> I have agreed to modify an existing PDF to add fillable fields. My
>> intention is to import it into OO Writer and work on it there. The PDF
>> is readable and printable without a password, but OO demands a password
>> to open it.
>>
>> I ran pdfcrack on it and, after a while got a result:
>> found owner-password: 'pass5'
>> found user-password: '
>> (# Note: not the real password, but it is five characters)
>>
>> Problem is that OO does not think it is the correct password. I also
>> tried pdftk to strip the password and it does not think that it is
>> correct either. Anyone have experience that may shed some light? Other
>> tools I might try?
>>
>> By the way, the company that "owns" the pdf is ok with my efforts, but
>> the employee who created it is no longer available so I can't just ask
>> for the correct password.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --PE
>>
>
> owner-password is only used to prevent making changes to the pdf,
> user-password is for opening. Try opening in OOo Draw and just hit enter
> at the password prompt.

I should point out that you can't edit the pdf in Writer, only in Draw.
Drop me a note off-list & I'll try to assist.

Gary

...



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Patton Echols 03-11-2011 04:20 PM

opening a password protected pdf
 
On 03/10/2011 03:15 PM, NoOp wrote:

On 03/10/2011 02:02 PM, NoOp wrote:

On 03/10/2011 12:08 PM, Patton Echols wrote:

I have agreed to modify an existing PDF to add fillable fields. My
intention is to import it into OO Writer and work on it there. The PDF
is readable and printable without a password, but OO demands a password
to open it.

I ran pdfcrack on it and, after a while got a result:
found owner-password: 'pass5'
found user-password: '
(# Note: not the real password, but it is five characters)

Problem is that OO does not think it is the correct password. I also
tried pdftk to strip the password and it does not think that it is
correct either. Anyone have experience that may shed some light? Other
tools I might try?

By the way, the company that "owns" the pdf is ok with my efforts, but
the employee who created it is no longer available so I can't just ask
for the correct password.

Thanks,
--PE


owner-password is only used to prevent making changes to the pdf,
user-password is for opening. Try opening in OOo Draw and just hit enter
at the password prompt.

I should point out that you can't edit the pdf in Writer, only in Draw.
Drop me a note off-list& I'll try to assist.



Thank you Gary. I have found a workaround to strip the password. Since
the pdf was readable / printable, I opened in evince and printed to
CUPS-PDF. That rendered a PDF with all the attributes but without the
"encrypted metadata". I do have a question about editing with Draw, but
I'll start a separate thread.


If anyone has thoughts about why pdfcrack might find an owner password
(and no user password), but they don't work, here is the entire output
of pdfcrack. (File name and actual pass changed to protect the innocent).


patton@mycroft:~/Documents$ pdfcrack -f Award.pdf -o -m 8
PDF version 1.5
Security Handler: Standard
V: 2
R: 3
P: -1324
Length: 128
Encrypted Metadata: True
FileID: 28bf4e5e4e758a4164004e56fffa0108
U: 488d530833b77d2ad10eed5e417a13d4000000000000000000 00000000000000
O: 72f431f37ccaeafafd58ec1b607ee3361926b23f4e9cd605a1 7fddc1226aadad
Average Speed: 12872.5 w/s. Current Word: 'z7da'
Average Speed: 12881.0 w/s. Current Word: 'J8ib'
Average Speed: 12900.4 w/s. Current Word: '8foc'
Average Speed: 12870.6 w/s. Current Word: 'Wdtd'
Average Speed: 12887.0 w/s. Current Word: '2gye'
Average Speed: 12171.8 w/s. Current Word: 'qBzf'
Average Speed: 12442.5 w/s. Current Word: '8kCg'
Average Speed: 12451.5 w/s. Current Word: 'J7Eh'
Average Speed: 12355.4 w/s. Current Word: 'kpHi'
Average Speed: 12583.1 w/s. Current Word: 'oSKj'
Average Speed: 12692.0 w/s. Current Word: 'zUOk'
Average Speed: 12821.5 w/s. Current Word: 'wCTl'
Average Speed: 12853.0 w/s. Current Word: 'DuYm'
Average Speed: 12100.8 w/s. Current Word: '7rZn'
Average Speed: 12385.2 w/s. Current Word: 'lT1o'
Average Speed: 12738.5 w/s. Current Word: 'wa6p'
Average Speed: 12634.9 w/s. Current Word: 'hU9q'
Average Speed: 12825.8 w/s. Current Word: 'DDes'
Average Speed: 12630.6 w/s. Current Word: '2lit'
Average Speed: 12755.2 w/s. Current Word: 'DImu'
Average Speed: 12728.5 w/s. Current Word: 'AWqv'
Average Speed: 12888.4 w/s. Current Word: '8Zvw'
Average Speed: 12780.0 w/s. Current Word: 'IuAx'
Average Speed: 12748.4 w/s. Current Word: '5OEy'
Average Speed: 12754.9 w/s. Current Word: 'zbJz'
Average Speed: 12878.0 w/s. Current Word: 'KbOA'
Average Speed: 12809.0 w/s. Current Word: 'GPSB'
Average Speed: 12971.0 w/s. Current Word: 'TjYC'
Average Speed: 12966.4 w/s. Current Word: 'BM3D'
Average Speed: 12977.7 w/s. Current Word: 'Xi9E'
Average Speed: 12960.5 w/s. Current Word: 'LJeG'
Average Speed: 12964.3 w/s. Current Word: 'NbkH'
Average Speed: 12973.0 w/s. Current Word: 'EGpI'
Average Speed: 12979.2 w/s. Current Word: 'vdvJ'
Average Speed: 12980.0 w/s. Current Word: 'AKAK'
Average Speed: 12976.2 w/s. Current Word: 'tgGL'
Average Speed: 12949.9 w/s. Current Word: 'QDLM'
Average Speed: 12979.8 w/s. Current Word: 'RaRN'
Average Speed: 12981.0 w/s. Current Word: 'iIWO'
Average Speed: 12975.1 w/s. Current Word: 'Pd2P'
Average Speed: 12976.3 w/s. Current Word: 'JJ7Q'
Average Speed: 12978.1 w/s. Current Word: 'dgdS'
Average Speed: 12341.2 w/s. Current Word: 'ftfT'
Average Speed: 12688.0 w/s. Current Word: 'aujU'
Average Speed: 12917.4 w/s. Current Word: '4GoV'
Average Speed: 12820.9 w/s. Current Word: 'QotW'
Average Speed: 12975.2 w/s. Current Word: 'pUyX'
Average Speed: 12980.5 w/s. Current Word: 'ErEY'
Average Speed: 12957.0 w/s. Current Word: 'lRJZ'
Average Speed: 12953.5 w/s. Current Word: 'UfP0'
Average Speed: 12649.3 w/s. Current Word: 'k4S1'
Average Speed: 12893.0 w/s. Current Word: 'n9X2'
Average Speed: 12978.9 w/s. Current Word: '7F33'
Average Speed: 12972.4 w/s. Current Word: 'Ka94'
Average Speed: 12969.6 w/s. Current Word: 'uEe6'
Average Speed: 12979.0 w/s. Current Word: 'gbk7'
Average Speed: 12983.5 w/s. Current Word: 'uJp8'
Average Speed: 12980.0 w/s. Current Word: 'Agv9'
Average Speed: 12984.4 w/s. Current Word: '6OAaa'
Average Speed: 12980.8 w/s. Current Word: 'rmGba'
Average Speed: 12982.5 w/s. Current Word: 'kULca'
Average Speed: 12964.8 w/s. Current Word: 'wmRda'
Average Speed: 12900.2 w/s. Current Word: 'TtWea'
Average Speed: 12973.6 w/s. Current Word: 'WY1fa'
Average Speed: 12963.0 w/s. Current Word: 'yq7ga'
Average Speed: 12984.5 w/s. Current Word: '5Ycia'
Average Speed: 12973.1 w/s. Current Word: 'Xtija'
Average Speed: 12975.4 w/s. Current Word: 'yZnka'
Average Speed: 12952.2 w/s. Current Word: 'Hntla'
Average Speed: 12961.4 w/s. Current Word: 'NOyma'
Average Speed: 12959.3 w/s. Current Word: 'dfEna'
Average Speed: 12976.7 w/s. Current Word: 'fLJoa'
Average Speed: 12972.5 w/s. Current Word: 'WfPpa'
Average Speed: 12983.4 w/s. Current Word: '8NUqa'
found owner-password: 'situp'
found user-password: '


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"Cybe R. Wizard" 03-11-2011 05:11 PM

opening a password protected pdf
 
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:20:14 -0800
Patton Echols <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:

> If anyone has thoughts about why pdfcrack might find an owner
> password (and no user password

Run it again without the -o option. It defaults to user password. The
-o option sets it to owner.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
When Windows are opened the bugs come in.
Winduhs

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Patton Echols 03-11-2011 06:24 PM

opening a password protected pdf
 
On 03/11/2011 10:11 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:20:14 -0800
Patton Echols<p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:


If anyone has thoughts about why pdfcrack might find an owner
password (and no user password

Run it again without the -o option. It defaults to user password. The
-o option sets it to owner.

Cybe R. Wizard


Thanks for the thought. It looks like the -o option gives both owner
and user passwords. If you look at the actual output the last two lines
are:

found owner-password: 'situp'
found user-password: '

the same "user-password" is found when running without the -o option.
Gary had suggested just clicking enter when trying to open the file (no
password). That did not work.


--PE

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.