Old 02-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Larry Alkoff

Default Are all Ubuntu IDE drives now sda?

I've put together a Ubuntu Server edition 7.10 using a single PATA IDE
(not SATA) drive.

In /etc/fstab, I specify the drives with their ssid.

On bootup, the system is calling the partitions sda1 and sda5 (root and
home).

So my question is, has Ubuntu given up the old HDA nomenclature in favor
of SDA in all cases of PATA and SATA drives?

Larry

Old 02-07-2008, 11:50 PM
James Takac

On Friday 08 February 2008 10:36:21 Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I've put together a Ubuntu Server edition 7.10 using a single PATA IDE
> (not SATA) drive.
>
> In /etc/fstab, I specify the drives with their ssid.
>
> On bootup, the system is calling the partitions sda1 and sda5 (root and
> home).
>
> So my question is, has Ubuntu given up the old HDA nomenclature in favor
> of SDA in all cases of PATA and SATA drives?
>
> Larry

Hi Larry

I believe it was switched to this method at some point during feisty

James

Old 02-08-2008, 12:24 AM
debiani386

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I've put together a Ubuntu Server edition 7.10 using a single PATA IDE
> (not SATA) drive.
>
> In /etc/fstab, I specify the drives with their ssid.
>
> On bootup, the system is calling the partitions sda1 and sda5 (root and
> home).
>
> So my question is, has Ubuntu given up the old HDA nomenclature in favor
> of SDA in all cases of PATA and SATA drives?
>
> Larry

i have ide hard disks on mine and there still mounted as hda. mind you i
have ubuntu 7.10

--cj

Old 02-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Rashkae

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I've put together a Ubuntu Server edition 7.10 using a single PATA IDE
> (not SATA) drive.
>
> In /etc/fstab, I specify the drives with their ssid.
>
> On bootup, the system is calling the partitions sda1 and sda5 (root and
> home).
>
> So my question is, has Ubuntu given up the old HDA nomenclature in favor
> of SDA in all cases of PATA and SATA drives?

No, but some IDE chipsets now default to Libata drivers in the kernel
rather than some legacy IDE drivers. It all depends on your chipset though.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Larry Alkoff

James Takac wrote:
> On Friday 08 February 2008 10:36:21 Larry Alkoff wrote:
>> I've put together a Ubuntu Server edition 7.10 using a single PATA IDE
>> (not SATA) drive.
>>
>> In /etc/fstab, I specify the drives with their ssid.
>>
>> On bootup, the system is calling the partitions sda1 and sda5 (root and
>> home).
>>
>> So my question is, has Ubuntu given up the old HDA nomenclature in favor
>> of SDA in all cases of PATA and SATA drives?
>>
>> Larry
>
> Hi Larry
>
> I believe it was switched to this method at some point during feisty
>
> James

Hello James.

The switch to sda is fine by me. I just wanted to make sure nothing
"funny" was happening since I was expecting PATA IDE would be called
'hda' etc.

Larry

Old 02-08-2008, 05:42 AM
James Takac

On Friday 08 February 2008 12:24:40 Larry Alkoff wrote:
> James Takac wrote:
> > On Friday 08 February 2008 10:36:21 Larry Alkoff wrote:
> >> I've put together a Ubuntu Server edition 7.10 using a single PATA IDE
> >> (not SATA) drive.
> >>
> >> In /etc/fstab, I specify the drives with their ssid.
> >>
> >> On bootup, the system is calling the partitions sda1 and sda5 (root and
> >> home).
> >>
> >> So my question is, has Ubuntu given up the old HDA nomenclature in favor
> >> of SDA in all cases of PATA and SATA drives?
> >>
> >> Larry
> >
> > Hi Larry
> >
> > I believe it was switched to this method at some point during feisty
> >
> > James
>
> Hello James.
>
> The switch to sda is fine by me. I just wanted to make sure nothing
> "funny" was happening since I was expecting PATA IDE would be called
> 'hda' etc.
>
> Larry

Hi Larry

Well, I just learnt a lil more from some of the other replies as to why and
when

James

Old 02-10-2008, 01:47 PM
"Pr Lidn"

Yes, they are switching over all ide drives to new libata code (in the kernel). Libata was originally meant just for s-ata, but now the intention is to use it for alla kinds of ata/ide. The old code is still there however, in case the new code doesn't support your system. And libata takes advantage of the scsi subsystem

/Pr