Old 03-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Sascha Effert

Default I want no GDM at startup

Hello,

I am getting crazy... I have a ubuntu server 10.10 and installed xubuntu-desktop on top of it. Now I would like to get rid of gdm, so it shall not be started whe I boot the machine. Following what I found at google I called:

root@ubuntu-base:~# sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove
Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/gdm ...
root@ubuntu-base:~#

But on next boot gdm is started again. Searching around I was not able to find a way to deactivate it. Could please anybody tell me how to deactivate it? Preferred using the console...

bests

Sascha Effert

Old 03-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Sascha Effert <fermat@uni-paderborn.de> wrote:

> I am getting crazy... I have a ubuntu server 10.10 and installed xubuntu-desktop on top of it. Now I would like to get rid of gdm, so it shall not be started whe I boot the machine. Following what I found at google I called:
>
> root@ubuntu-base:~# sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove
> *Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/gdm ...
> root@ubuntu-base:~#
>
> But on next boot gdm is started again.

GDM's an upstart job so "update-rc.d..." doesn't affect it.

Comment out the "start on" lines in "/etc/init/gdm.conf" or add "text"
to "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" in "/etc/default/grub" and run
"update-grub".

Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Shaun Jones

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Sascha Effert <fermat@uni-paderborn.de> wrote:

> I am getting crazy... I have a ubuntu server 10.10 and installed xubuntu-desktop on top of it. Now I would like to get rid of gdm, so it shall not be started whe I boot the machine. Following what I found at google I called:

> root@ubuntu-base:~# sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove

> *Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/gdm ...

> root@ubuntu-base:~#

> But on next boot gdm is started again.

GDM's an upstart job so "update-rc.d..." doesn't affect it.

Comment out the "start on" lines in "/etc/init/gdm.conf" or add "text"

to "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" in "/etc/default/grub" and run

"update-grub".

Can't you just change the runlevel ?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Shaun Jones <mister.s.jones@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Sascha Effert <fermat@uni-paderborn.de>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am getting crazy... I have a ubuntu server 10.10 and installed
>> > xubuntu-desktop on top of it. Now I would like to get rid of gdm, so it
>> > shall not be started whe I boot the machine. Following what I found at
>> > google I called:
>> >
>> > root@ubuntu-base:~# sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove
>> > *Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/gdm ...
>> > root@ubuntu-base:~#
>> >
>> > But on next boot gdm is started again.
>>
>> GDM's an upstart job so "update-rc.d..." doesn't affect it.
>>
>> Comment out the "start on" lines in "/etc/init/gdm.conf" or add "text"
>> to "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" in "/etc/default/grub" and run
>> "update-grub".
>
> Can't you just change the runlevel ?

No.

But my two suggestions amount to the same thing.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Sascha Effert

Hello,

thanks for pointing me to /etc/init/gdm.conf. I changed it, so that gdm is only started in runlevel 5. Therefore I replaced the following:

<<<<< Original /etc/init/gdm.conf >>>>>>>>>>>>>

start on (filesystem
and started dbus
and (drm-device-added card0 PRIMARY_DEVICE_FOR_DISPLAY=1
or stopped udevtrigger))

stop on runlevel [016]

<<<<< My /etc/init/gdm.conf >>>>>>>>>>>>>

start on (filesystem
and started dbus
and (drm-device-added card0 PRIMARY_DEVICE_FOR_DISPLAY=1
or stopped udevtrigger)
and runlevel [5])
stop on runlevel [012346]

====================================

The machines starts in runlevel 2, so I have no problem.

Thanks and solved.

bests

Sascha Effert

Old 03-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Sascha Effert <fermat@uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
> Am 10.03.2011 um 15:25 schrieb Tom H:

>>> Can't you just change the runlevel ?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> But my two suggestions amount to the same thing.
>
> thanks for pointing me to /etc/init/gdm.conf. I changed it, so that gdm is only started in runlevel 5. Therefore I replaced the following:
>
> <<<<< Original /etc/init/gdm.conf >>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> start on (filesystem
> and started dbus
> and (drm-device-added card0 PRIMARY_DEVICE_FOR_DISPLAY=1
> or stopped udevtrigger))
> stop on runlevel [016]
>
> <<<<< My /etc/init/gdm.conf >>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> start on (filesystem
> and started dbus
> and (drm-device-added card0 PRIMARY_DEVICE_FOR_DISPLAY=1
> or stopped udevtrigger)
> and runlevel [5])
> stop on runlevel [012346]
>
> ====================================
>
> The machines starts in runlevel 2, so I have no problem.

That's another way of doing it because on Ubuntu (and Debian)
runlevels 2-5 are the same and runlevel 2 is the default runlevel.

You can also run "echo manual >> /etc/init/gdm.conf" to prevent
gdm.conf from running at boot.

With Natty, you'll be able to drop a "gdm.override" into "/etc/init/"
to override (obviously!) "/etc/init/gdm.conf" and if there's just
"manual" in that file, gdm'll only start if you run "start gdm" or an
equivalent command.

Keep an eye out for the next upstart upgrade because it might
overwrite "/etc/init/gdm.conf" and your changes will be over-written
(I've just been caught like this by an upgrade on Fedora).

Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Shaun Jones <mister.s.jones@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Sascha Effert <fermat@uni-paderborn.de>
>> wrote:
>> > I am getting crazy... I have a ubuntu server 10.10 and installed
>> > xubuntu-desktop on top of it. Now I would like to get rid of gdm, so it
>> > shall not be started whe I boot the machine. Following what I found at
>> > google I called:
>> >
>> > root@ubuntu-base:~# sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove
>> > *Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/gdm ...
>> > root@ubuntu-base:~#
>> >
>> > But on next boot gdm is started again.
>>
>> GDM's an upstart job so "update-rc.d..." doesn't affect it.
>>
>> Comment out the "start on" lines in "/etc/init/gdm.conf" or add "text"
>> to "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" in "/etc/default/grub" and run
>> "update-grub".
>
> Can't you just change the runlevel ?

To what? Ubuntu only has three run levels - off, single user and
multiuser. Runlevels 2-5 are all combined.