-   -   automating the process of asking question (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/499545-automating-process-asking-question.html)

Abhishek Dixit 03-10-2011 09:36 AM

automating the process of asking question

Some times to debug some problems I need to ask a question on many
forums/mailing lists.
In such a situation I need to open browser and login to many forums at
the same time.
Then go and format it according to forum guidlines and then paste
it.So I want to know if I can
automate this process some way by some alias or command line utility
and just type the question
in a text file and give URLs on command line and the question gets
posted to those forums
where I request?

--
Regards
Abhi

Alan Pope 03-10-2011 10:34 AM

On 10 March 2011 10:36, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some times to debug some problems I need to ask a question on many
> forums/mailing lists.

That's actually pretty rude IMO. Whilst it gets maximum visibility to
your question, it also massively duplicates the amount of work done to
answer your question. If your answer is received on one site then
anyone else on other sites answering your question later is just
wasting their time.

Al.

MR ZenWiz 03-10-2011 05:56 PM

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 3:34 AM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 10 March 2011 10:36, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Some times to debug some problems I need to ask a question on many
>> forums/mailing lists.
>
> That's actually pretty rude IMO. Whilst it gets maximum visibility to
> your question, it also massively duplicates the amount of work done to
> answer your question. If your answer is received on one site then
> anyone else on other sites answering your question later is just
> wasting their time.

And if you do that sort of thing a lot, you'll gain a reputation for
so doing and almost certainly lose any chance of getting an answer.

Be courteous and follow the conventions - ask on one list, see if you
get answers, if not (and ONLY if not), then try somewhere else. At
the very least, announce what you are doing in your multiple posts so
people who might answer can see if it's worth their time to respond.

These lists are free, but our time is donated. Respect that.