Old 03-09-2011, 09:49 PM

Default Installation?

-----Original Message-----

From: Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>

To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Sent: Wed, Mar 9, 2011 2:10 pm

Subject: Re: Installation?

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Pongo A. Pan <pongo_pan@charter.net> wrote:

> Perhaps the OP should also try "sudo parted --list" in a terminal. *I

> forget if parted is installed by default in 10.10. *It seems to be in

> natty.

> *pongo@seneca:~$ sudo parted --list

> *[sudo] password for pongo:

> *Model: ATA ST31000333AS (scsi)

> *Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB

> *Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

> *Partition Table: msdos

> *Number *Start * End * * Size * *Type * * *File system * * Flags

> *1 * * *32.3kB *419MB * 419MB * primary * ext2 * * * * * *boot

> *2 * * *419MB * 10.9GB *10.5GB *primary * linux-swap(v1)

> *3 * * *10.9GB *1000GB *989GB * extended

> *5 * * *10.9GB *110GB * 98.9GB *logical * ext4

> *6 * * *110GB * 895GB * 785GB * logical * ext4

> *7 * * *895GB * 992GB * 96.4GB *logical * ext4

> *8 * * *992GB * 1000GB *8613MB *logical * fat32

> Pretty unambiguous. *Don't look at me! LL's partition scheme.

But why is the linux-swap partition 10 GB? (Huge!)

Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Niki Kovacs

Le 09/03/2011 20:38, Knute Johnson a écrit :

I just installed 10.10 desktop and I'm not sure if I got a swap
partition. Should I have a swap partition? How do I tell for sure
whether I do?

Thanks,

$ grep swap /etc/fstab

If you see a resulting line, there's your swap partition, like here:

$ grep swap /etc/fstab
/dev/md1 none swap sw 0 0

Cheers,

Niki

Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 PM
David Curtis

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:36 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM, David Curtis <dave.c.curtis@gmail.com> wrote:

:

> Swap is always recommended as linux optimises RAM use with it, regardless of
> how much RAM you have.

Swap space is used for anonymous memory (i.e., that which does not
already map to a file) when the system needs more than you have. *If

you never use more memory than you have physically available,
technically you do not need swap space. *If you have 32GB of memory
and never use more than 4GB of it (and you don't hibernate your
machine), you do not need swap space.

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

Interesting article about what swap is used for, but I didn't see any
blanket "always" recommendation for swap there.

However, I agree that a swap space (partition or file) at least the
same size as memory is good, double better. *It really depends on how
you use memory (and disk) and how much you have, as I said up front.

*
*
My*assumption is that memory management needs swap to work properly. But not being a kernel guru I can only post another link for some sort of validation, which if you read says yes, use swap regardless of RAM size*but then goes on to muddy the waters...

*
http://kerneltrap.org/node/3202
*
Also from the first link above you can read a more advanced explanation of swap which argues for swap for other reasons.
*
http://distilledb.com/blog/archives/date/2009/02/22/swap-files-in-linux.page
*
*
To me it just seems to be common sense that if the system needs swap for a seldomly occuring situation (badly behaving process) you might as well put it in if it will help and incurr no apreciable resource penalty,*but again I'm no kernel expert.

*
Dave
*

Old 03-10-2011, 12:10 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM, David Curtis <dave.c.curtis@gmail.com> wrote:
:
> My*assumption is that memory management needs swap to work properly.

Only if you need to do any swapping. Memory management includes
swapping when there is a need to swap and a place to do it. (If you
don't swap and you run out of memory, the system either hangs or
crashes.)

I haven't done any Linux kernel programming in a few years, but this
sort of concept rarely changes - it's been this way since the whole
concept of swapping was invented/discovered.

> To me it just seems to be common sense that if the system needs swap for a
> seldomly occuring situation (badly behaving process) you might as well put
> it in if it will help and incurr no apreciable resource penalty,*but again
> I'm no kernel expert.

That's quite reasonable - in today's world, what's a few GB of swap
space out of 100s of GB per disk?

Old 03-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 3/9/2011 7:10 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

Only if you need to do any swapping. Memory management includes
swapping when there is a need to swap and a place to do it. (If you
don't swap and you run out of memory, the system either hangs or
crashes.)

This is (most) of the time a false assumption.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:43 AM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 17:49 -0500, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:

> > Pretty unambiguous. Don't look at me! LL's partition scheme.
>

> But why is the linux-swap partition 10 GB? (Huge!)

I wrote: "Don't look at me!" I didn't set it up. I guess she was
thinking of hibernation since there is 8 GB of read/write memory (and
vast empty disk space on this experimental system); why not?

I had to make three promises when I married her last Fall:

Stop using Jesus's middle initial.

Monitor several listservs where the S/N ratio was too high for her
taste (this is one) and forward anything really interesting.

Let her do the hardware.

Nothing to it.

--
pongo pan
Wed, 09 Mar 2011 19:37:48 -0800

Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 19:43 -0800, Pongo A. Pan wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 17:49 -0500, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:
>

> > > Pretty unambiguous. Don't look at me! LL's partition scheme.
> >

> > But why is the linux-swap partition 10 GB? (Huge!)
> >
> I wrote: "Don't look at me!" I didn't set it up. I guess she was
> thinking of hibernation since there is 8 GB of read/write memory (and
> vast empty disk space on this experimental system); why not?
>
> I had to make three promises when I married her last Fall:
>
> Stop using Jesus's middle initial.
>
> Monitor several listservs where the S/N ratio was too high for her
> taste (this is one) and forward anything really interesting.
>
> Let her do the hardware.
>
> Nothing to it.

Best be VERY nice to her, as there is nothing as good as a good geek
gal. Nothing. If she has to slap you around to keep you in line, every
once in awhile, sobeit! <chuckles> Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Eric Morey

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 19:43 -0800, Pongo A. Pan wrote:
> Monitor several listservs where the S/N ratio was too high for her
> taste...

She likes noise?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:04 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On 3/9/2011 7:10 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>
>> Only if you need to do any swapping. *Memory management includes
>> swapping when there is a need to swap and a place to do it. *(If you
>> don't swap and you run out of memory, the system either hangs or
>> crashes.)
>
> This is (most) of the time a false assumption.

Which part?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 3/10/2011 1:04 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Jordon Bedwell<jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:

On 3/9/2011 7:10 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

Only if you need to do any swapping. Memory management includes
swapping when there is a need to swap and a place to do it. (If you
don't swap and you run out of memory, the system either hangs or
crashes.)

This is (most) of the time a false assumption.

Which part?

System hanging and crashing.
We have OOM servers all the time, they never crash or hang, just
applications.