Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 PM

Default Natty Alpha 3

There has been so much discussion on Natty and Unity, here is my two pfennigs or what ever currency you prefer:

It took me 3 tries to install it, first with the Desktop CD and two times with the Alternate CD (Text Mode).* I filed a bug report on the first failure.* On the second install, it failed at the Grub install and charged quantity one destroyed Windows XP partition for trying.* Attempted a retry on the grub install without restarting, it did not see the Windows XP partition any more but did install grub successfully. This was all on test system and I have a copy of the Windows XP partition squirreled away someplace.

On first logon, which I assume was the Ubuntu Desktop (Unity based).* I created a terminal launcher so I could do the command line work.* First thing I did was make sure the Nvidia driver was installed (it wasn't) but still no desktop icons, after a couple hours of fussing with desktop including down load time and updates, I finally got both desktops working (Classic and Ubuntu) and I don't like either even though Ubuntu looks nice, the Applications windows is on overload with all application icons showing, it should have had a by group option just as the Classic has.* Classic "didn't work" was my first thought because I couldn't find the menu drop down until I spotted the little down arrow scrunched at far right of the task bar next to the Ubuntu icon.

Two more pfennigs:* I loaded up my webserver configuration on Natty and found some of the packages were the same as 10.10!* I am not convinced that LibreOffice 3.3.1 is better than OpenOffice and there should be a choice.* Interesting enough is that LibreOffice is also available on the ArtistX (Ubuntu 10.04),* if one desires it on a LTS distribution.* In my tests of LibreOffice, it will not play Powerpoint files properly where OpenOffice will.* One needs a distribution that works.

I realize that this is an Alpha release but hey, we are less than 60 days out from the public release date and Ubuntu is still calling it Alpha.* I still remember what I think was the 9.04 release where it took a month following its public release to be stable.* No repeats please.

Deposit Made.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:54 PM
bsfmig