Old 03-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Alan Pope

Default Mounting an External USB Hard Drive

On 9 March 2011 14:38, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Is the hard drive faulty?
> Is there a system check I can run to verify?
> Where do I look for clues?

Probably the drive is spinning down to save power. I have a drive
which does this.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ExternalDriveStandby

Above page may be interesting, especially the bit at the bottom:-
"Use: sg_start --pc=3 /dev/sda ..for "standby" mode, which still
causes the disc to spin down but allows it to automatically spin back
up when accessed."

Cheers,
Al.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Amichai Rotman

I don't have sg_start installed and searching for it in the apt-get cache returned no results.
I would also like it to persist between reboots.
Is there a way I can check what's the current state?

Thanks!
Amichai.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Steve Flynn

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> I don't have sg_start installed and searching for it in the apt-get cache
> returned no results.

Install the sg3-utils package

> I would also like it to persist between reboots.

Pop the command into a script and have it fire on start-up.
--
Steve

Old 03-09-2011, 06:09 PM
sam tygier