Old 03-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Amichai Rotman

Default Mounting an External USB Hard Drive

Hello,
I have an external USB Hard Drive connected to my desktop running Ubuntu Lucid. I want this hard drive to be available all the time (I rearly take it with me). I added the following line in the '/etc/fstab' file, followin advice I got via this list:

UUID=4c881181-6b15-4910-a09f-0f3c88354440 /Data *ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks 0 0

It worked fine for a long time, but*lately*I started to notice the disk is not mounted when I try to access files on it. Sometimes running 'sudo mount /Data' is enough, but sometimes I get an error saying the UUID does not exist...

It usually happens after a long time I don't use the computer (more than 30 minutes). I have set my screen saver to 'Picture Folder' and that folder is a symlink to a directory on that disk, so it's been accessed all the time...

Is the hard drive faulty?Is there a system check I can run to verify?Where do I look for clues?
Thanks!
Amichai.