Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Colin Law

Default Which version of Sun Java have I got?

In another thread it was pointed out that we should be using Sun Java
6.24 rather than 20 as this had security issues. When I type
java -version
I get
java version "1.6.0_20"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.7) (6b20-1.9.7-0ubuntu1)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode, sharing)

But when I do
sudo apt-cache policy sun-java6-jre (or bin or jdk or whatever)
I get
sun-java6-jre:
Installed: 6.24-1build0.10.10.1
Candidate: 6.24-1build0.10.10.1
Version table:
*** 6.24-1build0.10.10.1 0
500 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ maverick/partner i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I am not aware of having installed it other than from the repository.
Can anyone help with my confusion?

Colin

Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Scott Davies

Hi,

I think your confusion is regarding the difference between the JDK and the
JRE.

The JDK (Java Development Kit) is the SDK. By the looks of things, you
have JDK 1.6, revision or patch 20.

The JRE (Java Runtime Environment) is needed only for running Java code,
like in a client environment. By the looks of things, you have JRE 6 with
revision or patch 24.

When you are developing and compiling code, the JDK will use javac version
1.6.20.

In this case, you'll want to update both.

Cheers,

Scott

Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Alan Pope

On 8 March 2011 21:11, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> In another thread it was pointed out that we should be using Sun Java
> 6.24 rather than 20 as this had security issues. When I type
> java -version
> I get
> java version "1.6.0_20"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.7) (6b20-1.9.7-0ubuntu1)
> OpenJDK Client VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode, sharing)

That's openjdk, not the Sun build.

> But when I do
> sudo apt-cache policy sun-java6-jre (or bin or jdk or whatever)
> I get
> sun-java6-jre:
> Installed: 6.24-1build0.10.10.1

That's the Sun one.

So you have both installed but you have your system default set to the
OpenJDK one.

If you would like to switch to have the default being Sun JVM then see
this page:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

Specifically the section titled 'Choosing the default Java to use'

Cheers,
Al.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:34 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

[...]

What do this web page say about your Java installation?
http://www.java.com/sv/download/help/testvm.xml

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Colin Law

On 8 March 2011 21:29, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 8 March 2011 21:11, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> In another thread it was pointed out that we should be using Sun Java
>> 6.24 rather than 20 as this had security issues. *When I type
>> java -version
>> I get
>> java version "1.6.0_20"
>> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.7) (6b20-1.9.7-0ubuntu1)
>> OpenJDK Client VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode, sharing)
>>

> That's openjdk, not the Sun build.

Stupid boy, why don't I read what I am posting.

>> But when I do
>> sudo apt-cache policy sun-java6-jre (or bin or jdk or whatever)
>> I get
>> sun-java6-jre:
>> *Installed: 6.24-1build0.10.10.1
>
> That's the Sun one.
>
> So you have both installed but you have your system default set to the
> OpenJDK one.
>
> If you would like to switch to have the default being Sun JVM then see
> this page:-
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java
>
> Specifically the section titled 'Choosing the default Java to use'

OK, I have switched to the Sun one so now java -version shows
java version "1.6.0_24"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)
as it should.

The only issue now is why jEdit, on its help about says (and did say
before setting the default to Sun
jEdit 4.4pre1 using Sun Java 1.6.0_20
which is what confused me in the first place. I think that is a
question for the jEdit list though.

Thanks all for the help

Colin

Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Knute Johnson

[...]

Did jEdit load a JRE for itself?

knute...

Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 AM
NoOp

On 03/08/2011 04:48 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 03/08/2011 01:59 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>>>>

>>> That's openjdk, not the Sun build.
>>
>> Stupid boy, why don't I read what I am posting.

>>> That's the Sun one.
>>>
>>> So you have both installed but you have your system default set to the
>>> OpenJDK one.
>>>
>>> If you would like to switch to have the default being Sun JVM then see
>>> this page:-
>>>
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java
>>>
>>> Specifically the section titled 'Choosing the default Java to use'
>>
>> OK, I have switched to the Sun one so now java -version shows
>> java version "1.6.0_24"
>> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)
>> as it should.
>>
>> The only issue now is why jEdit, on its help about says (and did say
>> before setting the default to Sun
>> jEdit 4.4pre1 using Sun Java 1.6.0_20
>> which is what confused me in the first place. I think that is a
>> question for the jEdit list though.
>>
>> Thanks all for the help
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Did jEdit load a JRE for itself?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/jedit
depends: openjdk-6-jre
However, it says:
or sun-java6-jre
So it looks as if you can use both, but jedit will install openjdk by
default.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:33 AM
NoOp

On 03/08/2011 05:23 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 03/08/2011 04:48 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
>> Did jEdit load a JRE for itself?
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/jedit
> depends: openjdk-6-jre
> However, it says:
> or sun-java6-jre
> So it looks as if you can use both, but jedit will install openjdk by
> default.

Sorry. Looks like I was wrong. I just installed jedit and it did not
install openjdk-6-jre:
$ apt-cache policy openjdk-6-jre
openjdk-6-jre:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 6b20-1.9.7-0ubuntu1
Version table:
6b20-1.9.7-0ubuntu1 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates/main
i386 Packages
500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-security/main
i386 Packages
6b20-1.9-0ubuntu1 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main i386 Packages

$ apt-cache policy jedit
jedit:
Installed: 4.3.2+dfsg-3
Candidate: 4.3.2+dfsg-3
Version table:
*** 4.3.2+dfsg-3 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/universe i386
Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Knute Johnson

[...]

It is possible to have multiple Javas installed using the 'alternatives'
program but I think the OP was getting them both at once. Not sure
what's up with that unless a JRE was installed with jEdit in a fashion
similar to what OpenOffice does.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Colin Law

On 8 March 2011 21:59, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 8 March 2011 21:29, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On 8 March 2011 21:11, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> In another thread it was pointed out that we should be using Sun Java
>>> 6.24 rather than 20 as this had security issues. *When I type
>>> java -version
>>> I get
>>> java version "1.6.0_20"
>>> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.7) (6b20-1.9.7-0ubuntu1)
>>> OpenJDK Client VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode, sharing)
>>>

>> That's openjdk, not the Sun build.
>
> Stupid boy, why don't I read what I am posting.
>

>>> But when I do
>>> sudo apt-cache policy sun-java6-jre (or bin or jdk or whatever)
>>> I get
>>> sun-java6-jre:
>>> *Installed: 6.24-1build0.10.10.1
>>
>> That's the Sun one.
>>
>> So you have both installed but you have your system default set to the
>> OpenJDK one.
>>
>> If you would like to switch to have the default being Sun JVM then see
>> this page:-
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java
>>
>> Specifically the section titled 'Choosing the default Java to use'
>
> OK, I have switched to the Sun one so now java -version shows
> java version "1.6.0_24"
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)
> as it should.
>
> The only issue now is why jEdit, on its help about says (and did say
> before setting the default to Sun
> jEdit 4.4pre1 using Sun Java 1.6.0_20
> which is what confused me in the first place. *I think that is a
> question for the jEdit list though.

For the record I have got to the bottom of this. Obviously at some
point I installed the openjdk version and had it selected as the
default. The first confusion was that jEdit on its Help > About page
says that it using Sun Java even when it is using openjdk (which also
came from Sun apparently) so that I did not realise that I was using
the wrong one. The second was that somehow I was invoking jEdit via a
script that explicitly selected the openjdk version, though how that
came about I have no idea. Having changed that then all is well.

Thanks again all for the help.

Colin