Old 03-08-2011, 05:24 AM
Doug

Default dosbox vs. wine

For general purpose use--not games--which program is better, in these
respects: handles more DOS programs; more easily accessible to
peripherals, like diskdrives, including floppies; less complicated to
get working; less complicated to use. Would either one run Win 95 or
Win 98,
if required? (And if I could still find the disks!) Comments solicited
on the questions I forgot to ask. (No, don't ask "why." The answer is

technical programs that have no Linux counterpart.)

The computer on which I would use it has an AMD Sempron running at 1500
MHz, 2 GB ram, and an EVGA AGP video card with 528 MB ram.

Thanx--doug

Old 03-08-2011, 05:40 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 01:24:30 -0500
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> For general purpose use--not games--which program is better, in these
> respects: handles more DOS programs; more easily accessible to
> peripherals, like diskdrives, including floppies; less complicated to
> get working; less complicated to use. Would either one run Win 95 or
> Win 98,
> if required? (And if I could still find the disks!) Comments
> solicited on the questions I forgot to ask. (No, don't ask "why."
> The answer is technical programs that have no Linux counterpart.)
>
> The computer on which I would use it has an AMD Sempron running at
> 1500 MHz, 2 GB ram, and an EVGA AGP video card with 528 MB ram.
>
> Thanx--doug

Least complex would be a VirtualBox or VMware installation of the
dreaded, "Windows," OS. If it is for work than you should charge the
cost to your company/business. If it isn't, then you should look for a
Linux counterpart of consider seeking funding for such, yourself.
There are plenty of programmers who would love to work for you writing
whatever you wish to have.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 03-08-2011, 06:14 AM
Doug

On 03/08/2011 01:40 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

[...]

Well, it's for myself, and I'm not going to try and rewrite or pay someone
to do that. While I would rather have the programs run on Linux, I do
own and sometimes use a Windows machine. Even there I may need
a dosbox--after Win 98, Windows has not been all that friendly to old
DOS routines.

As far as I'm aware, there are no Linux programs designed for analysis
or synthesis of microwave circuits. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
In addition, some of the programs were locally written in BASIC, and
my previous experience trying to get anything written in GW BASIC to
run on Linux's BASIC programs says it can't be done--at least not by me.

--doug

Old 03-08-2011, 04:15 PM
NoOp

On 03/07/2011 10:24 PM, Doug wrote:
> For general purpose use--not games--which program is better, in these
> respects: handles more DOS programs; more easily accessible to
> peripherals, like diskdrives, including floppies; less complicated to
> get working; less complicated to use. Would either one run Win 95 or
> Win 98,
> if required? (And if I could still find the disks!) Comments solicited
> on the questions I forgot to ask. (No, don't ask "why." The answer is
> technical programs that have no Linux counterpart.)

I've found dosemu to work quite well for my old Digger game. I've both
dosemu and dosbox installed & found dosemu simple & easy to use (for my
purpose).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSEMU
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines

Easiest way to find out is to just install them & try.