Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Basil Chupin

Default Ubuntu with Unity versus Kubuntu with KDE

I've been following the initial comments (cons and the rebuttals/excuses
for it) about Unity for Ubuntu and now have a question to those who have
used/using KDE and Unity.

I left opensuse a couple of years ago because of KDE (with its plasmas,
widgets.....) and and went Ubuntu with gnome.

Now that Unity has raised its head in Ubuntu I was wondering how much of
a difference there is between Kubuntu (KDE) and Ubuntu with Unity?

In fact, what's the future of Kubuntu when Unity matures?

BC

--

"Aaah....another pointless day when I've achieved nothing."
Bender, Futurama.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:18 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 11:40:50 +1100
Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> I've been following the initial comments (cons and the
> rebuttals/excuses for it) about Unity for Ubuntu and now have a
> question to those who have used/using KDE and Unity.
>
> I left opensuse a couple of years ago because of KDE (with its
> plasmas, widgets.....) and and went Ubuntu with gnome.
>
> Now that Unity has raised its head in Ubuntu I was wondering how much
> of a difference there is between Kubuntu (KDE) and Ubuntu with Unity?
>
> In fact, what's the future of Kubuntu when Unity matures?
>
> BC

If you haven't given the new interfaces a look, you'll find that they
(Unity, GNOME-shell, GNOME 3) all copy Apple's, "look, I can't read,
but I can operate a computer," paradigm. The ideas of giving all
programs the same title bar (OK, it changes with focus) and making
every menu choice an icon instead of text is just brain-dead if you
ask me. OTOH, I can read well. I suppose that if I were half educated
and half competent I would also welcome the dumbing down of all
interfaces.
I really, really don't want to scroll through three or four pages of
icons to find that which would be on the first page of a text menu, no
matter how cool the Ipad might be.

Don't let's even talk about the idea of full screen defaults for all
programs.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 03-08-2011, 05:35 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 00:18:01 -0600
"Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Don't let's even talk about the idea of full screen defaults for all
> programs.

...and, BTW, if I get around full-screen programs (yes, easy) I still
have a screen full of programs (actually two screens and eight
desktops) that /all share/ the menu bar /that is hidden by my choice/ in
my setup. How is this intuitive again? My little program that I have
reduced to a smallish size on the bottom right of screen two has its
menu bar /hidden/ at the top left of screen one. Oh, great idea!

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 00:35:46 -0600
"Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 00:18:01 -0600
> "Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > Don't let's even talk about the idea of full screen defaults for all
> > programs.
>
> ...and, BTW, if I get around full-screen programs (yes, easy) I still
> have a screen full of programs (actually two screens and eight
> desktops) that /all share/ the menu bar /that is hidden by my choice/
> in my setup. How is this intuitive again? My little program that I
> have reduced to a smallish size on the bottom right of screen two has
> its menu bar /hidden/ at the top left of screen one. Oh, great idea!
>
> Cybe

In my VirtualBox 11.04 Unity I just opened LibreOffice and the monitor
settings program. The Monitor Preferences program has a huge pink,
"Unknown," for the monitor. That's strange but OK, but it also puts it
on the menu bar as a pink rectangle that says, Unknown," which is just
as helpful as Hell, especially as it is placed over the, "File," part of
the menu bar and refuses to allow my access to same:
http://img3.imageshack.us/i/unitystupidity.png/

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 03-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> In my VirtualBox 11.04 Unity I just opened LibreOffice and the monitor
> settings program. *The Monitor Preferences program has a huge pink,
> "Unknown," for the monitor. *That's strange but OK, but it also puts it
> on the menu bar as a pink rectangle that says, Unknown," which is just
> as helpful as Hell, especially as it is placed over the, "File," part of
> the menu bar and refuses to allow my access to same:
> http://img3.imageshack.us/i/unitystupidity.png/

This is not a Unity problem. I have a 10.04 VBox VM where "Monitor"
behaves this way.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 01:25:28 -0600
"Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> In my VirtualBox 11.04 Unity I just opened LibreOffice and the monitor
> settings program. The Monitor Preferences program has a huge pink,
> "Unknown," for the monitor. That's strange but OK, but it also puts
> it on the menu bar as a pink rectangle that says, Unknown," which is
> just as helpful as Hell, especially as it is placed over the, "File,"
> part of the menu bar and refuses to allow my access to same:
> http://img3.imageshack.us/i/unitystupidity.png/
>
> Cybe

I must admit that it was Nubbily Narwal alpha 1. Here is the same deal
with alpha 2:
http://img94.imageshack.us/i/unitystupidity2.png/

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 02:33:27 -0500
Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
> <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >
> > In my VirtualBox 11.04 Unity I just opened LibreOffice and the
> > monitor settings program. *The Monitor Preferences program has a
> > huge pink, "Unknown," for the monitor. *That's strange but OK, but
> > it also puts it on the menu bar as a pink rectangle that says,
> > Unknown," which is just as helpful as Hell, especially as it is
> > placed over the, "File," part of the menu bar and refuses to allow
> > my access to same: http://img3.imageshack.us/i/unitystupidity.png/
>
> This is not a Unity problem. I have a 10.04 VBox VM where "Monitor"
> behaves this way.

My regular installation of 10.10 does the same thing but it does /not/
interfere with my access of the, "File," menu on the Open Office
program. Although it almost covers it, it does not quite and still
allows access. Regression.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Alan Pope

On 8 March 2011 07:45, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> My regular installation of 10.10 does the same thing but it does /not/
> interfere with my access of the, "File," menu on the Open Office
> program. Although it almost covers it, it does not quite and still
> allows access. *Regression.

ubuntu-bug gnome-control-center

Will allow you to file a bug about that. I personally don't think it's
a unity bug but one in the monitor applet. It's a bit rude for the app
to assume you have no content worth clicking in the top left of the
screen. Would be nicer if it was a transparent overlay in the centre
of the screen (as it is on Windows), or a box that only appears when
you hit a "which monitor is which" button".

Al.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 2:45 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 02:33:27 -0500
> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
>> <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > In my VirtualBox 11.04 Unity I just opened LibreOffice and the
>> > monitor settings program. *The Monitor Preferences program has a
>> > huge pink, "Unknown," for the monitor. *That's strange but OK, but
>> > it also puts it on the menu bar as a pink rectangle that says,
>> > Unknown," which is just as helpful as Hell, especially as it is
>> > placed over the, "File," part of the menu bar and refuses to allow
>> > my access to same: http://img3.imageshack.us/i/unitystupidity.png/
>>
>> This is not a Unity problem. I have a 10.04 VBox VM where "Monitor"
>> behaves this way.
>>
> My regular installation of 10.10 does the same thing but it does /not/
> interfere with my access of the, "File," menu on the Open Office
> program. Although it almost covers it, it does not quite and still
> allows access. *Regression.

Hadn't noticed *that*!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 PM
NoOp

On 03/07/2011 11:40 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 01:25:28 -0600
> "Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> In my VirtualBox 11.04 Unity I just opened LibreOffice and the monitor
>> settings program. The Monitor Preferences program has a huge pink,
>> "Unknown," for the monitor. That's strange but OK, but it also puts
>> it on the menu bar as a pink rectangle that says, Unknown," which is
>> just as helpful as Hell, especially as it is placed over the, "File,"
>> part of the menu bar and refuses to allow my access to same:
>> http://img3.imageshack.us/i/unitystupidity.png/
>>
>> Cybe
>
> I must admit that it was Nubbily Narwal alpha 1. Here is the same deal
> with alpha 2:
> http://img94.imageshack.us/i/unitystupidity2.png/

As Alan mentioned, file a bug: ubuntu-bug gnome-control-center
You were actually using the Gnome desktop. Here's a screenshot using the
Unity desktop:
http://img855.imageshack.us/i/screenshot5.png/
[click on the image to enlarge]
Now here's an excercise for you; log out & log back in selecting the
'Ubuntu Desktop Edition' (Unity) desktop. Now, repeat & let me know how
long it takes you to figure out how to do the screenshot without using
the Prtsc key - use the 'Applications|Accessories|Take a Screenshot' as
you would in gnome.