-   -   completely disable touchpad (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/498216-completely-disable-touchpad.html)

Liviu Andronic 03-07-2011 12:43 PM

completely disable touchpad

Dear all
I have this nasty bug on my HP where simply touching the touchpad
grabs focus and holds it. This means that the slightest touch and I
can no longer use the mouse to perform any click at all.

I tried to disable it as suggested here [1]
xinput list | grep -i touchpad
xinput set-prop 15 "Device Enabled" 0

and it seemed to work bar for one case: when I suspend and then
re-awake the laptop, the touchpad gets activated again. And now and
then I get careless and touch the thing, and the system gets stuck.

I think that best would be some Xorg config or making sure that the
appropriate driver is not loaded, but I'm not sure which one that
would be. Any ideas?

Regards
Liviu

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad#Completely
disabling Touchpad

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm

NoOp 03-07-2011 07:33 PM

On 03/07/2011 05:43 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Dear all
> I have this nasty bug on my HP where simply touching the touchpad
> grabs focus and holds it. This means that the slightest touch and I
> can no longer use the mouse to perform any click at all.
What model of HP? Most newer HP laptops have a button to turn off the
touchpad. I found it easier to simply turn it off at the gdm login
screen (using the button above the touchpad). That way if I do wish to
use it during a session I can simply turn it back on.
My HP Laptop is a G60-530US.

Spajderix 03-08-2011 07:26 AM

[...]

You could try to disable it via bios. There is a big chance you have an option for that.