Old 03-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Oliver Marshall

Default Tool to show total traffic over NIC

Hi,
*
Can anyone recommend a simple tool we can use to show the total data transferred (in and out) over the NIC in our Ubuntu server for the last 30 days, or really the last day is fine (we can x 30) ?
*
We are moving it to a data centre and need an idea of the transfer amount to purchase.
*
Olly

Old 03-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Harry Strongburg

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 11:58:24AM +0000, Oliver Marshall wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a simple tool we can use to show the total data
> transferred (in and out) over the NIC in our Ubuntu server for the
> last 30 days, or really the last day is fine (we can x 30) ?

vnstat?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Mon, March 7, 2011 12:58, Oliver Marshall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a simple tool we can use to show the total data
> transferred (in and out) over the NIC in our Ubuntu server for the last 30
> days, or really the last day is fine (we can x 30) ?
>
> We are moving it to a data centre and need an idea of the transfer amount
> to purchase.

vnstat should be your primary weapon of choice if you seek a simple tool.
More info:

sudo aptitude install vnstat && man vnstat

Old 03-08-2011, 04:14 AM
Ian Coetzee

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Amedee Van Gasse
<amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:
> On Mon, March 7, 2011 12:58, Oliver Marshall wrote:

<snip>

> vnstat should be your primary weapon of choice if you seek a simple tool.
> More info:
>
> sudo aptitude install vnstat && man vnstat

+1 for vnstat, and if it is on a server you might also find vnstati
interesting. Basically the same as vnstat, only it outputs the stats
to png format.

Regards
Ian

Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Oliver Marshall

Can't see vnstati in the apt-get sources that we have here. Got vnstat working, but the export to PNG would be nice.

Olly

--
Network Support
Online Backups

Tel: 0845 307 3443
Email: oliver.marshall@g2support.com
Web: http://www.g2support.com
Twitter: g2support
Newsletter: http://www.g2support.com/newsletter
Mail: 2 Roundhill Road, Brighton, Sussex, BN2 3RF

Have you said something nice about us to a friend or colleague ? Let us say thanks. Find out more at www.g2support.com/referral

G2 Support LLP is registered at Mill House, 103 Holmes Avenue, HOVE
BN3 7LE. Our registered company number is OC316341.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Ian Coetzee

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Oliver Marshall
<Oliver.Marshall@g2support.com> wrote:
> Can't see vnstati in the apt-get sources that we have here. Got vnstat working, but the export to PNG would be nice.
>
> Olly

What version of ubuntu are you running, on my 10.10 box I get:
ian@ian-hp:~$ apt-cache policy vnstati
vnstati:
Installed: 1.10-1
Candidate: 1.10-1
Version table:
*** 1.10-1 0
500 http://za.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/universe i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Regards
Ian

Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Oliver Marshall

Ahhh well it is an oldy. V8.xxx if I recall. I'd have to check to get the specifics.

Olly

--
G2 Support
Network Support : Online Backups : Server Management

Web: www.g2support.com
Twitter: g2support

Old 03-08-2011, 09:34 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Tue, March 8, 2011 09:38, Oliver Marshall wrote:
> Can't see vnstati in the apt-get sources that we have here. Got vnstat
> working, but the export to PNG would be nice.

If you need something more sophisticated, take a look at something like
munin. Take a look on Google Images to get an idea of what kind of charts
it generates.