Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Jay Ridgley

Default Can not obtain an IP address via DHCP on new system. Why?

Folks,

OK, I must be stupid. I have tried to get this new system up yet I keep failing
to obtain an IP address via DHCP from my provider. I have the following
configuration. I have snipped the remaining portions (to save space).

/etc/network/interfaces:auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

# Connection to Time Warner Cable
# Internal RJ45 port
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth0

--snip--

/etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf:

ddns-update-style interim;
ignore client-updates;

# DHCP for eth0 - outside world connection via cable modem
# no entries here

--snip--

Should I provide anything else?

All systems that are behind the firewall work fine except for going outside my
local network (expected, since I have no connection on the firewall). When I
boot the new system ifconfig does not show eth0. Yet it is there and plugged
into the cable modem. The information does show in an lspci.

Needing help,
Jay
What have I missed

Let me know if you want extensive info and I will try to put it on paste bin.

--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2@austin.rr.com

Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Harry Strongburg

On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 08:46:57PM -0600, Jay Ridgley wrote:
> OK, I must be stupid. I have tried to get this new system up yet I
> keep failing to obtain an IP address via DHCP from my provider. I
> have the following configuration. I have snipped the remaining
> portions (to save space).

You never mentioned dhclient.conf - if you forgot to edit that file,
that may be your issue.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Tom H

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> OK, I must be stupid. I have tried to get this new system up yet I keep
> failing to obtain an IP address via DHCP from my provider. I have the
> following configuration.
>
> /etc/network/interfaces:auto lo
>
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # Connection to Time Warner Cable
> # Internal RJ45 port
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> auto eth0
>
> *--snip--
>
> /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf:
>
> ddns-update-style interim;
> ignore client-updates;
>
> # DHCP for eth0 - outside world connection via cable modem
> # *no entries here
>
> *--snip--
>
> All systems that are behind the firewall work fine except for going outside
> my local network (expected, since I have no connection on the firewall).
> When I boot the new system ifconfig does not show eth0. Yet it is there and
> plugged into the cable modem. The information does show in an lspci.

1. "/etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf" is the config file for a dhcp server.

2. You shouldn't add

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

to "etc/network/interfaces" if you're using Network Manager.