-   -   nautilus + terminal (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/497864-nautilus-terminal.html)

"Johnny Rosenberg" 03-06-2011 02:04 PM

nautilus + terminal

Den 2011-03-06 15:07:23 skrev Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas@s7.dion.ne.jp>:

The other day I tried / installed LibreOffice.
During the procedure - I was reading the instruction - it said there:
"open Nautilus - more to folder .... - right click within that folder
and choose

"open in terminal"

I tried this many times and in all possible manners I could think of, but
nowhere/never was there the option to "open in terminal".

It would be IMMENSELY helpful, if that could be done, instead of typing
some

novel-long "cd command",
which will not work, naturally, if you mistype just one little letter
along the

(LONG) way.

Thank you for your guidance.
Thomas

You need to install ”nautilus-open-terminal” first.
When you did, you can right click a folder in Nautilus and there will be a
”Open in terminal” option there.

What I don't understand is why you need to do that AFTER you installed
LibreOffice. I can see the point doing so BEFORE installing LibreOffice,
becasue there are probably quite a few deb files somewhere that you need
to install, and it's very convenient to do that in a terminal. When you
are in the right folder in your terminal, then just type:

dpkg -i *deb (or something like that…)
At least that is the procedure for OpenOffice.org, but I guess it is the
same with LibreOffice. I don't use it myself since they say it's a
development from Go-oo, which I find very buggy. Maybe that isn't the case
for LibreOffice, I don't know…

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Robert Holtzman 03-06-2011 05:53 PM

nautilus + terminal

On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 02:29:26PM +0000, Tony Pursell wrote:

.........snip.........

> I wonder how you installed LibreOffice? It is not available in the
> current version of Ubuntu so you can only install it from a source like
> LibreOffice itself. This means that the instructions you are given do
> not necessarily come from Ubuntu.

Then why is it in my 10.04 synaptic? I have no repos in my sources.list
file other than Ubuntu ones. BTW, I installed it from the Ubuntu repos
and later uninstalled it.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

NoOp 03-06-2011 06:01 PM

nautilus + terminal

On 03/06/2011 07:04 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> Den 2011-03-06 15:07:23 skrev Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas@s7.dion.ne.jp>:
>
>> The other day I tried / installed LibreOffice.
>> During the procedure - I was reading the instruction - it said there:
>> "open Nautilus - more to folder .... - right click within that folder
>> and choose
>> "open in terminal"
>>
>> I tried this many times and in all possible manners I could think of, but
>> nowhere/never was there the option to "open in terminal".
>>
>> It would be IMMENSELY helpful, if that could be done, instead of typing
>> some
>> novel-long "cd command",
>> which will not work, naturally, if you mistype just one little letter
>> along the
>> (LONG) way.
>>
>> Thank you for your guidance.
>> Thomas
>
> You need to install ”nautilus-open-terminal” first.
> When you did, you can right click a folder in Nautilus and there will be a
> ”Open in terminal” option there.

Be nice if it worked:

$ apt-cache policy nautilus-open-terminal
nautilus-open-terminal:
Installed: 0.18-1
Candidate: 0.18-1
Version table:
*** 0.18-1 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/universe i386
Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
nautilus-open-terminal is a proof-of-concept Nautilus extension
which allows you to open a terminal in arbitrary local folders.

Doesn't work for me - in Tree mode - only works if Nautilus is set to
'Places'.

@Thomas: If you are in Tree/list mode the right-click won't work,
instead use: File|Open in Terminal

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus-open-terminal/+bug/597678>
[in nautilus list view, with the window full of files it's not possible
to open a terminal]

"Johnny Rosenberg" 03-06-2011 06:08 PM

nautilus + terminal