Old 03-06-2011, 01:50 PM
"Johnny Rosenberg"

Default assign keyboard keys

Den 2011-03-06 14:40:44 skrev Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas@s7.dion.ne.jp>:

Good evening from JapanI have been loyal Wordperfect user for a long
time, but the software
gives me lately a lot of grief.Thus, I am considering to permanently
switch to Libreoffice (have
been using Openoffice on and off in the past).Question:Wordperfect
has a handy little function, that allows the user to

assign just about everything to individual keys, including which
letter they represent.Since I am a German, but live in Japan where I
am used to machines
which have basically the American keyboard layout,I cherished this
Wordperfect function, because it allowed me to
assign the letter "y" and "z" to their respective opposite
position.That means, if I switch under Windows to the German keyboard
layout,

the "y" comes to lie where "z" is printed on the key and vice versa.
The WP function allows me to change that, so that I get a "y", where
it is printed on the key, even while using the German keyboard
layout.This is not essential, but I have been used to that layout
for my

typing.

For Windows I was directed to:
Depending on your Windows version "The Microsoft Keyboard Layout
Creator" might be the right tool for you.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665

You believe it? That works. Now, when I switch to a German keyboard
layout EVERY software uses the newly created/modified keyboard.

Is there anything like that for Linux?
I tried "xfkc", but although it gives me a long list of possible
layouts, it does not show how each of these layouts actually looks like.

AND, even though I chose the "querty" layout, I cannot see any change.
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but this does not seem to work.
Anything else?

Thank you.

Xfkc? Have never heard of that, sorry.

I use Ubuntu since a 2007 and I have had my own keyboard layout since a
few years back. I don't know of any software that does this for you, so I
just edited the ”evdev” files and the keyboard layout files. How you do it
is different depending on what you want to achieve.
If you use the Gnome desktop environment, you can see a layout before you
actually choose it and you can also have many different layouts and easily
switch between them by a keyboard shortcut or clicking an icon in the
upper panel.

There are hundreds of layouts to choose between so I find it likely that
you'll find what you are looking for.

Here is my own layout (sorry that the picture is turned 90°):
http://ubuntuone.com/p/CEY/
Note that I can type with my arrow keys and more (tab, backspace, home,
end and so on) if I use the AltGr key (the right Alt key if you don't have
an AltGr key).

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg