-   -   Disable autostart from mysql (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/497861-disable-autostart-mysql.html)

Hartmut 03-06-2011 01:41 PM

Disable autostart from mysql

Hi,

how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
mysql is still running after system boot.

Thanks
Hartmut

Colin Law 03-06-2011 02:37 PM

On 6 March 2011 14:41, Hartmut <freemlist@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
> mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
> mysql is still running after system boot.

Assuming you are running 10.10 or above then you could install
jobs-admin which provides a graphical interface for controlling
services.

Colin

J 03-06-2011 03:21 PM

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:37, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 6 March 2011 14:41, Hartmut <freemlist@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
>> mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
>> mysql is still running after system boot.
>
> Assuming you are running 10.10 or above then you could install
> jobs-admin which provides a graphical interface for controlling
> services.

Also, you could look in /etc/init.d for startup scripts, or if you're
running desktop and not server, also look in /etc/xdg/autostart/

Tom H 03-06-2011 03:37 PM

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Hartmut <freemlist@googlemail.com> wrote:

> how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
> mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
> mysql is still running after system boot.

I think that mysql's been "upstarted" and its startup is controlled
through "/etc/init/mysql.conf".

Hartmut 03-06-2011 05:55 PM

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:37, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 6 March 2011 14:41, Hartmut <freemlist@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
>>> mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
>>> mysql is still running after system boot.
>>
>> Assuming you are running 10.10 or above then you could install
>> jobs-admin which provides a graphical interface for controlling
>> services.
>
> Also, you could look in /etc/init.d for startup scripts, or if you're
> running desktop and not server, also look in /etc/xdg/autostart/

the script /etc/init.d/postfix shows like:
--------------
$ cat /etc/init.d/postfix
#!/bin/sh -e

# Start or stop Postfix
#
# LaMont Jones <lamont@debian.org>
# based on sendmail's init.d script

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: postfix mail-transport-agent
# Required-Start: $local_fs $remote_fs $syslog $named $network $time
# Required-Stop: $local_fs $remote_fs $syslog $named $network
# Should-Start: postgresql mysql clamav-daemon postgrey spamassassin
# Should-Stop: postgresql mysql clamav-daemon postgrey spamassassin
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: start and stop the Postfix Mail Transport Agent
### END INIT INFO

Hartmut 03-06-2011 05:58 PM

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Hartmut <freemlist@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
>> mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
>> mysql is still running after system boot.
>
> I think that mysql's been "upstarted" and its startup is controlled
> through "/etc/init/mysql.conf".

The file /etc/init/mysql.conf contains
----------
start on (net-device-up
and local-filesystems
and runlevel [2345])

Tom H 03-06-2011 06:31 PM

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Hartmut <freemlist@googlemail.com> wrote:

> the script /etc/init.d/postfix shows like:
>
> $ cat /etc/init.d/postfix
> #!/bin/sh -e
>
> # Start or stop Postfix
> #
> # LaMont Jones <lamont@debian.org>
> # based on sendmail's init.d script
>
> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
> # Provides: * * * * *postfix mail-transport-agent
> # Required-Start: * *$local_fs $remote_fs $syslog $named $network $time
> # Required-Stop: * * $local_fs $remote_fs $syslog $named $network
> # Should-Start: * * *postgresql mysql clamav-daemon postgrey spamassassin
> # Should-Stop: * * * postgresql mysql clamav-daemon postgrey spamassassin
> # Default-Start: * * 2 3 4 5
> # Default-Stop: * * *0 1 6
> # Short-Description: start and stop the Postfix Mail Transport Agent
> ### END INIT INFO
>
> Is the "Should-Start:" only an Information or is it analysed by a
> script and this starts my mysql?

This LSB header only applies if you're using insserv.

The items listed in "Required-Start" are facilities that must be
available to start the script.

The items listed in "Should-Start" are facilities that must be
available to start the script if they're installed.

insserv uses this information to number the rcX.d symlinks.

As with upstart, update-rc.d'll not manage postfix's startup if you're
using insserv.

Tom H 03-06-2011 06:34 PM

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Hartmut <freemlist@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Hartmut <freemlist@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
>>> mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
>>> mysql is still running after system boot.
>>
>> I think that mysql's been "upstarted" and its startup is controlled
>> through "/etc/init/mysql.conf".
>
> The file /etc/init/mysql.conf contains
> ----------
> start on (net-device-up
> * * * * *and local-filesystems
> * * * * *and runlevel [2345])
> ----------
> Is it clever to remove the content between the brackets? Or isn't this
> a good idea?

If you'd like to disable mysql's auto-start, you should comment out
the three lines - and (since I don't know whether these changes are
respected) check that your changes aren't reversed when mysql's
updated.

Hartmut 03-06-2011 09:19 PM

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Hartmut <freemlist@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> I think that mysql's been "upstarted" and its startup is controlled
>>> through "/etc/init/mysql.conf".
>>
>> The file /etc/init/mysql.conf contains
>> ----------
>> start on (net-device-up
>> * * * * *and local-filesystems
>> * * * * *and runlevel [2345])
>> ----------
>> Is it clever to remove the content between the brackets? Or isn't this
>> a good idea?
>
> If you'd like to disable mysql's auto-start, you should comment out
> the three lines - and (since I don't know whether these changes are
> respected) check that your changes aren't reversed when mysql's
> updated.

Hi Tom,

thank you very much for your extensive explanations. I will try this,
next time I'm on this system.

Greetings
Hartmut