Old 03-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Thomas Blasejewicz

Default assign keyboard keys

Good evening from JapanI have been loyal Wordperfect user for a long time, but the software
gives me lately a lot of grief.Thus, I am considering to permanently switch to Libreoffice (have
been using Openoffice on and off in the past).Question:Wordperfect has a handy little function, that allows the user to
assign just about everything to individual keys, including which
letter they represent.Since I am a German, but live in Japan where I am used to machines
which have basically the American keyboard layout,I cherished this Wordperfect function, because it allowed me to
assign the letter "y" and "z" to their respective opposite position.That means, if I switch under Windows to the German keyboard layout,
the "y" comes to lie where "z" is printed on the key and vice versa.
The WP function allows me to change that, so that I get a "y", where
it is printed on the key, even while using the German keyboard
layout.This is not essential, but I have been used to that layout for my
typing.

For Windows I was directed to:
Depending on your Windows version "The Microsoft Keyboard Layout
Creator" might be the right tool for you.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665

You believe it? That works. Now, when I switch to a German keyboard layout EVERY software uses the newly created/modified keyboard.

Is there anything like that for Linux?
I tried "xfkc", but although it gives me a long list of possible layouts, it does not show how each of these layouts actually looks like.
AND, even though I chose the "querty" layout, I cannot see any change.
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but this does not seem to work.
Anything else?

Thank you.