Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Bob Holtzman

Default new Ubuntu user w/ questions

I recently decided to try out Ubuntu and have a couple of questions. I have RT'd a couple of FMs
and tried to wade thru this list's archives with no luck. I'm running Ubuntu 7.10.

1. What is the purpose of having both /media/cdrom and /media/cdrom0? I realize one is a link
to the other but I'm wondering why both exist. The same applies to /media/floppy and
/media/floppy0.

2. When trying to add content to a rewritable DVD that has previously been written to I get the
warning that I don't have permission to write to that directory. When I try to chmod 777(as
root)/media/cdrom0 I'm told it is a read only directory even tho /etc/mtab shows it mounted as rw.
What am I missing?

Please forgive the simplistic questions.I've been running Redhat for close to 10 years but it
seems there is a learning curve when going to a Debian based distro.
Bob Holtzman
......check the price of the beer!"

Old 02-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Rashkae

Bob Holtzman wrote:
> I recently decided to try out Ubuntu and have a couple of questions. I have RT'd a couple of FMs
> and tried to wade thru this list's archives with no luck. I'm running Ubuntu 7.10.
>
> 1. What is the purpose of having both /media/cdrom and /media/cdrom0? I realize one is a link
> to the other but I'm wondering why both exist. The same applies to /media/floppy and
> /media/floppy0.

Backwards compatability and improvements. /media/cdrom(n) can exist for
as many cd-rom devices as you care to cram on a single system, but
/media/cdrom (which lots of people/programs expect as the default) can
only point to one.

> 2. When trying to add content to a rewritable DVD that has previously been written to I get the
> warning that I don't have permission to write to that directory. When I try to chmod 777(as
> root)/media/cdrom0 I'm told it is a read only directory even tho /etc/mtab shows it mounted as rw.
> What am I missing?

RW CD's and DVD's aren't really RW (huh, please, bear with me). The
ISO9660 file system used by default only works as a complete image, and
does not allow for random write access (data is recorded in a continuous
spiral track, not divided into sectors / blocks like a traditional hard
drive. There is a standard that exists to mount a RW optical device
with random read write access, (if your drive supports it properly. Last
I investigated this, most did not) but it's very rarely used. I'm not
sure what the status of this is in Linux or what packages you would need
to get it working. In general, think of RW Optical media as something
you can erase and and start over. (You can, of course, append a write
session to add files. Use your favorite DVD burning software. You
can't write directly to the mounted file system, however)

Old 02-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Bob Holtzman

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Rashkae wrote:

> Bob Holtzman wrote:
> > I recently decided to try out Ubuntu and have a couple of questions. I have RT'd a couple of FMs
> > and tried to wade thru this list's archives with no luck. I'm running Ubuntu 7.10.
> >
> > 1. What is the purpose of having both /media/cdrom and /media/cdrom0? I realize one is a link
> > to the other but I'm wondering why both exist. The same applies to /media/floppy and
> > /media/floppy0.
>
> Backwards compatability and improvements. /media/cdrom(n) can exist for
> as many cd-rom devices as you care to cram on a single system, but
> /media/cdrom (which lots of people/programs expect as the default) can
> only point to one.
>

> > 2. When trying to add content to a rewritable DVD that has previously been written to I get the
> > warning that I don't have permission to write to that directory. When I try to chmod 777(as
> > root)/media/cdrom0 I'm told it is a read only directory even tho /etc/mtab shows it mounted as rw.
> > What am I missing?
> >

> RW CD's and DVD's aren't really RW (huh, please, bear with me). The
> ISO9660 file system used by default only works as a complete image, and
> does not allow for random write access (data is recorded in a continuous
> spiral track, not divided into sectors / blocks like a traditional hard
> drive. There is a standard that exists to mount a RW optical device
> with random read write access, (if your drive supports it properly. Last
> I investigated this, most did not) but it's very rarely used. I'm not
> sure what the status of this is in Linux or what packages you would need
> to get it working. In general, think of RW Optical media as something
> you can erase and and start over. (You can, of course, append a write
> session to add files. Use your favorite DVD burning software. You
> can't write directly to the mounted file system, however)

Thanks for the information. Is the /media/cdrom->/media/cdrom0 unique to
Ubuntu or is this the common setup now? I've been running Redhat 7.3 ever
since it was released and haven't kept up with developements.

One more question: why a /media in addition to the /mnt I am used to?

--
Bob Holtzman
......check the price of the beer!"

Old 02-08-2008, 05:40 AM