Old 03-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Marius Gedminas

Default Can't figure out how to make this query

On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 03:23:41AM +0000, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> I just changed my motherboard and the new video controller is an ATI
> RADEON, but I was using NVidia before.
>
> Without re-installing Ubuntu, what do I need to do to change the
> initrd (and xorg.conf) so that it will come up with the right video
> configuration?

And what's happening now? Does X fail to start, or does it fall back to
VESA or something?

You need to

(1) remove the proprietary NVidia driver, because it replaces
certain system libraries (libGL, IIRC) and makes them incompatible
with other video drivers.

(2) make sure your new video card is supported.

For (1), if you can currently start X, go to System -> Administration ->
Hardware drivers and disable the NVidia driver. If you can't currently
start X, log into a text console and do something like

sudo jockey-text --list
(see the name of the enabled driver)
sudo jockey-text --disable=NVidia

For (2), well, basically try a LiveCD session.

Marius Gedminas
--
This is an object-oriented system. If we change anything, the users object.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:58 AM
NoOp

On 03/05/2011 07:23 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> I just changed my motherboard and the new video controller is an ATI
> RADEON, but I was using NVidia before.
>
> Without re-installing Ubuntu, what do I need to do to change the
> initrd (and xorg.conf) so that it will come up with the right video
> configuration?

Rename the xorg.conf & reboot. You can fiddle with restarting etc., but
I'd just reboot unless you have a reason not to.

Without xorg.conf, the system _should_ see the new controller &
configure accordingly. Of course check System|Administration|Additional
Drivers to see if the cotroller needs any propritary firmware.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 AM
MR ZenWiz

Thanks.

It turns out that the xorg and the driver weren't the problem - grub
couldn't find the initrd images (which I thought was rather strange
because they were all in the right place).

I booted back to the Live CD, set up a chroot to my correct root
directory and ran update-grub, and suddenly it all works. (I had
already run grub-install, but clearly that wasn't enough or I missed a
step....)