-   -   hp probook 4515s going rebooting when I click Shutdown (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/497736-hp-probook-4515s-going-rebooting-when-i-click-shutdown.html)

NoOp 03-06-2011 01:36 AM

On 03/05/2011 08:19 AM, Сергей Кондурян wrote:
> I have HP ProBook 4515s with SLED 11 preinstalled.
> I have installed Ubuntu Desktop 10.04.2 i386 and update system with
> Update Manager.
> Now when I'm press Shutdown in upper right corner computer is rebooting.
> In 10.10 and SLED/openSUSE it was OK. What is could be?
> Sorry for bad English

Possible hardware issue? I was having the same issue on one of my
desktops and found out that one of my nic cards had gone bad. No matter
what I attempted (upgraded bios, ensured Wake On Lan was off, kernel
ACPI etc. modifications, it would still reboot. On occassion it would
even do it in WinXP (dual boot system) & then finally did it every time
even in WinXP. It would also do it from the Ubuntu liveCD. I finally
resolved my stripping the machine of every peripheral device with the
exception of the CD drive & putting each card (SCSI, Video, etc) back in
one at a time. It was only when I put the nic card back in the problem
appeared again. So, I replaced the nic card & all is well again.

I realise that it will be considerably harder to pin down a similar
hardware issue with a laptop so you might try checking your bios
settings & also check to see if it occurs with a liveCD. If the liveCD
is OK, then look for power setting issues (acpi etc).

And I see that you've entered a question(s):
on launchpad & received no responses.

NoOp 03-06-2011 09:53 PM

On 03/05/2011 11:12 PM, Сергей Кондурян wrote:
> В Сбт, 05/03/2011 в 18:36 -0800, NoOp пишет:
>> And I see that you've entered a question(s):
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/147946
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/147940
>> on launchpad & received no responses.

> In Windows/SLED 11/openSUSE (I have check this only ) everything is OK,
> even in Ubuntu 10.10. So it's strange. I think Hardware is fully
> supported because notebook was with SLED 11 preinstalled. And I've take
> a look this http://www.linlap.com/wiki/hp+probook+4515s and all hardware
> is fully supported.

Which kernel on 10.04? If it is standard 2.6.32, then you might try the
same kernel that works for you on 10.10 by enabling the backports
(System|Administration|Synaptic|Settings|Repositor ies|Updates|tick
'Unsuported updates (lucid-backports)'|Close|Reload. Then in the search
box enter: 2.6.35 & tick the box on 'linux-headers-2.6.35-25-generic.
That will also pull in the headers. Then click 'Apply'. You'll need to
reboot afterwards & select the 2.6.35 kernel at the grub menu. If that
works for you, then I'd recommend searching:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs
with 'reboot +lucid' in the search box to see if there is a bug already
filed.

Maybe:
ATI graphic card related?