Old 03-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Tony Pursell

Default how to make symbols used in differential equations and maths etc character map information needed

On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 20:49 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Hi,
> I wanted to know with respect to a link here
> http://random.irb.hr/signup.php
> if you look at the CAPTCHA section the answer of which it is solution
> of a differential equation given.
> The answer to the CAPTCHA does not needs any special character map.
>
> But this gave rise to a question in my mind if there is there some
> math library to enter such things.
> How can I enter such a mathematical thing in a web form.(The above
> link is just an example.)
>

> I googled but http://www.google.co.in/search?sourceid=chrome&client=ubuntu&channel=cs&ie =UTF-8&q=Math+library+for+Ubuntu
> the link comes with some C libraries for calculations.
> I then checked Gnome Documentation for Character Maps
> http://library.gnome.org/users/gucharmap/stable/gucharmap-usage.html.en
> but it was not helpful for me.
> Then I also checked a page here
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_typeface#List_of_Unicode_fonts
> and one more link
> http://computers-technology.helium.com/how-to/12128-how-to-create-special-computer-characters-with-your-keyboard
> but not clear as how to put such mathematical symbols which consists
> of complex differential equations.What font
> do I need to install for typing such characters.
>
> I use Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> --

To type a character from Applications > Accessories > Character Map, use
Ctrl-Shift-U (prints a small underlined u) then key the Unicode given in
Character Map, then hit Enter or Return.

Eg Ctrl-Shift-u, 0123, Return, gives ģ.

Is that what you want?

Tony

Old 03-05-2011, 06:42 PM
NoOp

On 03/05/2011 08:30 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Tony Pursell
> <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 20:49 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> To type a character from Applications > Accessories > Character Map, use
>> Ctrl-Shift-U (prints a small underlined u) then key the Unicode given in
>> Character Map, then hit Enter or Return.
>>
>> Eg Ctrl-Shift-u, 0123, Return, gives ģ.
>>
>> Is that what you want?
>>
>> Tony
>>
> I am specifically looking for the symbol of differential.

This one?

U+03D1 - greek theta symbol - It's in the Character Map that Tony
pointed you to.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:51 PM
NoOp

On 03/05/2011 11:42 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 03/05/2011 08:30 AM, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Tony Pursell
>> <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>> On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 20:49 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>>> To type a character from Applications > Accessories > Character Map, use
>>> Ctrl-Shift-U (prints a small underlined u) then key the Unicode given in
>>> Character Map, then hit Enter or Return.
>>>
>>> Eg Ctrl-Shift-u, 0123, Return, gives ģ.
>>>
>>> Is that what you want?
>>>
>>> Tony
>>>
>> I am specifically looking for the symbol of differential.
>>

> This one?
>
> U+03D1 - greek theta symbol - It's in the Character Map that Tony
> pointed you to.

Sorry, wrong one. I see you are asking about a Partial Symbol - correct?
U+2202

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2202/index.htm

Old 03-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Tony Pursell

On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 22:00 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Tony Pursell
> <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 20:49 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> > To type a character from Applications > Accessories > Character Map, use
> > Ctrl-Shift-U (prints a small underlined u) then key the Unicode given in
> > Character Map, then hit Enter or Return.
> >
> > Eg Ctrl-Shift-u, 0123, Return, gives ģ.
> >
> > Is that what you want?
> >
> > Tony
> >
> I am specifically looking for the symbol of differential.

Unicode 2202 > ∂

Got by Googling 'unicode differential symbol'

More at:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Unicode/List_of_useful_symbols

Tony