Old 03-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Tapas Mishra

Default how to make symbols used in differential equations and maths etc character map information needed

Hi,
I wanted to know with respect to a link here
http://random.irb.hr/signup.php
if you look at the CAPTCHA section the answer of which it is solution
of a differential equation given.
The answer to the CAPTCHA does not needs any special character map.

But this gave rise to a question in my mind if there is there some
math library to enter such things.
How can I enter such a mathematical thing in a web form.(The above
link is just an example.)

I googled but http://www.google.co.in/search?sourceid=chrome&client=ubuntu&channel=cs&ie =UTF-8&q=Math+library+for+Ubuntu
the link comes with some C libraries for calculations.
I then checked Gnome Documentation for Character Maps
http://library.gnome.org/users/gucharmap/stable/gucharmap-usage.html.en
but it was not helpful for me.
Then I also checked a page here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_typeface#List_of_Unicode_fonts
and one more link
http://computers-technology.helium.com/how-to/12128-how-to-create-special-computer-characters-with-your-keyboard
but not clear as how to put such mathematical symbols which consists
of complex differential equations.What font
do I need to install for typing such characters.

I use Ubuntu 10.04.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Tony Pursell
<ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 20:49 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> To type a character from Applications > Accessories > Character Map, use
> Ctrl-Shift-U (prints a small underlined u) then key the Unicode given in
> Character Map, then hit Enter or Return.
>
> Eg Ctrl-Shift-u, 0123, Return, gives ģ.
>
> Is that what you want?
>
> Tony

I am specifically looking for the symbol of differential.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:23 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Tony Pursell <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 22:00 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Tony Pursell

> <ajp@princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> > On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 20:49 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:

> > To type a character from Applications > Accessories > Character Map, use

> > Ctrl-Shift-U (prints a small underlined u) then key the Unicode given in

> > Character Map, then hit Enter or Return.

> > Eg Ctrl-Shift-u, 0123, Return, gives ģ.

> > Is that what you want?

> > Tony

> I am specifically looking for the symbol of differential.

Unicode 2202 > ∂

Got by Googling 'unicode differential symbol'

More at:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Unicode/List_of_useful_symbols

Tony

Ok this is some thing new for me.*