Old 03-05-2011, 09:02 AM
sdavmor

Default Jesus! I hate 11.04, WTF happened? This is awful. Somebody's head should be smacked!

So...I want gnome back on my desktop immediately and unity drop-kicked
over the horizon, never to be seen again.

...and I despise Firefox 4 (barf). It's as bad (maybe worse) than
Idiot Explorer 8. I never thought I'd say that about a *nix based
browser. So I want my 3.6x back.

Help please on the above two issues.
http://mikedickson.org.uk

Old 03-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Alan Pope

Hi,

On 5 March 2011 10:02, sdavmor <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
> So...I want gnome back on my desktop immediately and unity drop-kicked
> over the horizon, never to be seen again.

Booting 11.04 to the logon screen you'll find an option to choose
'session'. You can select Classic GNOME for the traditional 2-panel
layout you're used to.

> ...and I despise Firefox 4 (barf). It's as bad (maybe worse) than
> Idiot Explorer 8. I never thought I'd say that about a *nix based
> browser. So I want my 3.6x back.

Mozilla provide the source code and binary installers for their
browser. You can get them from their website.

Al.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Jeff Lane

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 05:15, sdavmor <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
> On 03/05/2011 02:11 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 5 March 2011 10:02, sdavmor<sdavmor@systemstheory.net> *wrote:
>>>
>>> So...I want gnome back on my desktop immediately and unity
>>> drop-kicked over the horizon, never to be seen again.
>>>

>> Booting 11.04 to the logon screen you'll find an option to choose
>> 'session'. You can select Classic GNOME for the traditional
>> 2-panel layout you're used to.
>>
>>> ...and I despise Firefox 4 (barf). It's as bad (maybe worse)
>>> than Idiot Explorer 8. I never thought I'd say that about a *nix
>>> based browser. So I want my 3.6x back.
>>>

>> Mozilla provide the source code and binary installers for their
>> browser. You can get them from their website.
>>
>> Al.
>
> Thank you! May {deity of your choice} shower you with blessings and
> protect you from whatever malevolence possessed Shuttleworth et al
> for this profound put-me-out-of-misery stupidity!
> --
> Cheers, SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man
> Systems Theory project website: http://systemstheory.net
> find us on MySpace, GarageBand, Reverb Nation, Last FM, CDBaby
> free MP3s of Systems Theory, Mike Dickson & Greg Amov music at
> http://mikedickson.org.uk

I bugs me that this has to be said EVERY SINGLE TIME there's an Ubuntu
alpha or beta...

From the relase announcement, as is in EVERY release announcement:
"Pre-releases of Natty are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a stable
system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even
frequent breakage. They are, however, recommended for Ubuntu developers and
those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs."

For your benefit, I am attaching the entire release announcement,
including information on where to file bugs, where to find a list of
known issues, and even where to download the images.

But PLEASE, this is alpha level software. that means you're lucky if
it boots. So if you have a problem, instead of posting to a mailing
list with no ability to fix the issue using sensationalist subject
lines like "ZOMG WTF I TRIED THIS ALFA AND IT'S BROKEN UBUNTU SUXORZ",
file bugs in the appropriate place and help make sure that the actual
final release of Natty is the best it can be.

As has been said previously, NO OS is ever released without bugs, and
no new Desktop Environrment is released without bugs. And thats at
release time. We're still a fair bit out from release and there will
be a LOT of work put into Natty before it's actually released in a
form meant for daily use.

So here is the full release announcement. Please use the links and
file bugs for your issues appropriately so that the triagers and
developers can act on them. They don't read these lists frequently
and these lists are not a substitute for filing bugs.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Paulo Sampaio

I agree with Jeff, You, user who dislikes the software have freedom
of choice, you simply decide for another good Distro, or, try to
repair what you think is broken. We try to help, but it gets harder if
you just comi in here and do nothind but say "hey this is bad i want
it the way i want..." so childish...

Freedom, always!
=]

Atenciosamente,
__
Paulo Sampaio
Desenvolvimento Web

Old 03-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Noah Duffy

I've switched to Debian for the simple reason that I'm not quite
liking what's going on with the Ubuntu development right now. Nothing
negative to be said about the people or ideas (Ubuntu has included
some awesome things), just that I'm hiding out in another distro for
awhile. But that just means we all have choices like Paulo said!

--
Noah Duffy
Skype - Noah0504 | Jabber/Google Talk - n.milo.duffy@gmail.com

Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Steve Flynn

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 7:04 PM, sdavmor <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
> On 03/05/2011 08:56 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
>>
>> Johnny wrote:
>>>
>>> I like 11.4. I login auto. So is there a way for me to use the
>>> Classic GNMOME? Just would like to try it.

Wait until you try Gnome 3. I suspect you'll have a heart attack when
your min/max windows buttons vanish!

--
Steve

Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 PM