Old 03-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Abhishek Dixit

Default how to cleanly uninstall Ubuntu 10.04 and remove grub2

Hi,
this question is important for me to know.It is not a regular support
question of using Ubuntu.
My problem is I have to do some computing resource intensive work for
a couple of days
and I have borrowed laptop of a friend for this work.For some training
and demo purposes.
(I won't be using Live CD or PXE boot sort of things)

Which is Lenovo Y560 http://shop.lenovo.com/us/notebooks/ideapad/y-series/y560
the laptop in third column on above link 8GB RAM.I will install Ubuntu
with Wubi installer in a folder.
The problem is these days laptops come with Windows 7 pre installed so
I wont be doing any partitioning etc.
My concern is when I will return it then is there any option to
cleanly uninstall Ubuntu.
I remember a long long time back when I was a Linux guy I used to
insert XP cd and from the recovery console
commands like fixmbr or fixboot used to work and I used to get the
Windows bootloader without any Linux thing back.That time I used to
just wipe out
installed Linux by formatting the Linux partition from within Windows
drives (right click and format the Linux drive to an NTFS partition)

Since it is not my laptop and the guy has given me trusting so I would
like to make sure that before I go ahead with my work
I return him in clean state.Other wise I will not use it.So un
istallation is important for me to know.
Let me know if some one has experience on this part.

--
Regards
Abhi

Old 03-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Nils Kassube

Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> I will install Ubuntu with
> Wubi installer in a folder.
> The problem is these days laptops come with Windows 7 pre installed
> so I wont be doing any partitioning etc.
> My concern is when I will return it then is there any option to
> cleanly uninstall Ubuntu.

If [1] doesn't explain it good enough, please let us know what else you need to know.

Nils

[1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi#Windows-based%20Un-installation>

Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Abhishek Dixit

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Abhishek Dixit wrote:
>> I will install Ubuntu with
>> Wubi installer in a folder.
>> The problem is these days laptops come with Windows 7 pre installed
>> so I wont be doing any partitioning etc.
>> My concern is when I will return it then is there any option to
>> cleanly uninstall Ubuntu.
>
> If [1] doesn't explain it good enough, please let us know what else you need to know.

> [1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi#Windows-based%20Un-installation>

Great link Nils I just have one more doubt.Upon performing the
uninstallation I see the last image of the link as a black screen
which shows Window7 and Linux so if uninstall happens will that screen
of grub (which is last image on link you mentioned) will remain?

--
Regards
Abhi

Old 03-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Nils Kassube

Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> > <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi#Windows-based%20Un-install
> > ation>
>
> Great link Nils I just have one more doubt.Upon performing the
> uninstallation I see the last image of the link as a black screen
> which shows Window7 and Linux so if uninstall happens will that
> screen of grub (which is last image on link you mentioned) will
> remain?

Sorry, I never tried uninstalling Ubuntu from a Wubi installation and I
also never used Windows7, so someone else might be able to answer the
question with authority.

My assumption is that the boot loader will be cleared from the Ubuntu
remains as well. However the last image on the page is from the next
chapter on the page. It is not related to the uninstallation chapter and
BTW it shows the Windows boot loader, not Grub.

Nils